Top Menu

US Waiver FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

If you have a criminal record you may be inadmissible to the United States, meaning you cannot travel to the US even for a day. In order to successfully travel to the US, you must apply for “Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-immigrant,” colloquially known as “a US Waiver.” A US Waiver is temporary permission to enter the US for business or pleasure. Waivers have fixed time-limits (often five years) and you will have to apply for a new one when your previous Waiver expires, unless you are able to resolve your inadmissibility.

Note: A Canadian Record Suspension will not, by itself, exempt you from needing a US Waiver.

More information about US waivers can be found on the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

My husband is Colombian living in Canada. He will get the Canadian Citizenship this year.Will he be able to travel to US as Canadian if he was asked to leave the country (US) about 8-9 years ago? Should he be asking for a pardon?

Whether or not he will be able to enter depends upon whether or not he received a ban when he left the country. The ban would have been for a fixed length of time, after that point he can return.

my daughter in law was residing in the us with a student status she is now a landed immigrant and was prohibited entry in the us. we wish to go on a holiday and have to to to florida to join a cruise, what can I do

That’s a complicated question. We recommend a consultation about an Entry Waiver.

I landed as PR in October and I haven’t received my PR card, can i apply to renew my US Visa with my COPR?

The US State Department is highly unlikely to regard your Confirmation of Permanent Residence as proof of your current status in Canada. Wait until you get your PR Card.

Can I travel to the US with a criminal assault record

The short answer is you cannot travel to the US with an assault conviction.

You could attempt to cross the border and you may be let in, but you also may be denied entry.

In order to resolve this issue, you’ll have to complete an application called “I-92 Advance Permission to temporarily enter The United States as a Non-Immigrant.” You will have to provide documentary evidence along with the completed application. You’ll have to hand it in, in person, to a US CBP agent at a port of entry or airport. If you are approved, the “waiver” (as it’s usually known) will be issued for up to 5 years, and then you’ll have to get another one.

Learn more

I am a Canadian citizen and my same sex partner is a US citizen. We are planning to get married in October this year and i want to stay in the U.S till my paperwork is complete and i get a legal status to continue living there. Therefore i’m planning to wind up everything in Canada, resign and leave, would there be any problem for me crossing the border? if i tell the officer the reason of my travel?

You need a visa to enter the US if you are planning to marry an American citizen. If you do not have one with you when you reach the border, you may be denied entry.

if one is permanent residence of Canada and wants to travel to US, does he need a passport? or a travel document? does he need a visa?

The answer to all those questions is ‘Yes’. You need a passport/travel document to travel to the US. And unless you are a citizen of a few select countries (Canada included) you also need a visa, or something known as a visa waiver (aka ESTA).

I applied for US Visitor Visa today December 2nd ,2014 in Toronto,Canada, and it was rejected saying to get the information on why you were rejected in India for a student visa to US, back in 2002 and that I lied to the Visa Officer back then about my Education, It being close to 12 years now I have no recollection of any such thing happening and I have all my Certificates Verified by the Universities I have attended. Also the Visa Office here in Toronto mentioned that I have applied for US visa 5 times before today which is not true, I have all my passports since my childhood and I only applied 3 times including this time in Toronto. I applied first time for a student visa on November 21st 2002 in Chennai,INDIA. Second time for a visitor Visa on 26th Jan 2004 in London, England and third time today Dec 2nd 2014 from Toronto,Canada. How do I resolve this issue and get a US visitor Visa, or shall I just wait for another 2 years to get my canadian passport and then travel to US. I am now a permanent resident here in Canada with a full time Job,a home which I own and have my wife and child here in Canada they are both Canadian Citizens.

It is entirely possible that you have been confused with someone else. You should look into something called a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) TRIP appeal, However, because it is about travel, and not immigration, it is unlikely to solve your problem even if it is successful.

Unfortunately for you, it is their prerogative to deny you a visa. I would strongly recommend that you wait until you are a Canadian citizen before trying to enter the US again. Even then, the passport will not necessarily solve your admissibility issue.

You may require a “waiver of inadmissibility”.

I am HIV positive. Am I inadmissible to the United States?

No. Since January 2010, people infected with the HIV virus are no longer inadmissible and can enter into the United States without problem and are no longer required to file Form I-601.

How much will it cost for me to get a US waiver?

The filing fee is US $585. Payment must be made by certified cheque in US dollars drawn on a US bank.

I have travelled into the US a few times even though I am supposed to be inadmissible. How can this happen?

US Border officials do not always have time to run record checks each time you cross. However if you are inadmissible and are crossing without a waiver this is a serious offence, which can result in the confiscation of your vehicle, criminal charges and jail sentences. Those travelling with you may be charged with harbouring a criminal as well as being classed as inadmissible to the United States.

How and where should I submit my waiver application?

You must submit your application in person at a US Customs and Border Protection Preclearance Center, many of which are located at ports of entry into the United States.

What must I prove when applying for a waiver?

You must provide complete assurance that you are not a risk to US society and you can do this by proving that you have been on a rehabilitation course; that 15 years have passed since the action that made you inadmissible; that your absence would cause economic hardship to immediate dependents. The severity of your criminal or immigration crimes are taken into account when reviewing your waiver application and the reasons for you wanting to enter the United States.

How long will it take for me to obtain a US waiver?

It takes around 6 months to a year to get a waiver. When you receive your waiver it will have an expiration date on it ? most first time waivers are issued for 1 year. After this time you will need to reapply.

When can I apply for a US waiver?

You can apply for a waiver at any time, although if you have an immigration violation against you, you may have to wait between 3 and 20 years before you are eligible to apply.

Do I need to use a lawyer to get a waiver?

No. You can apply on your own, but if you do use a lawyer or representative you must fill out Form G-28. Lawyers and representatives are not allowed to accompany their clients to waiver hearings.



Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes