Top Menu

Canadian Pardon FAQ

Read IMMIgroup’s step-by-step guide on: The Complete Guide to Background Checks & Security Screenings

A Record Suspension (formerly pardon) allows people convicted of a criminal offenses in Canada to prove that they have been law abiding citizens over a set period of time since their crime was committed. Record Suspensions are granted by the Parole Board of Canada under the Criminal Records Act. To apply:

  1. Get your Criminal Record (your Convictions, Conditional and Absolute Discharges form) from the RCMP in Ottawa and, if required, your Proof of Conviction documents
  2. Get your Court Information using the Court Information Form
  3. Get your Military Conduct Sheet (if applicable)
  4. Get your Local Police Records Check(s) using the form
  5. Get your Proof of Citizenship or Immigration
  6. Get a Photocopy of your photo ID
  7. Fill in the Schedule 1 Exception Form (if applicable)
  8. Fill in the Record Suspension Application Form
  9. Fill in the Measurable Benefit/Sustained Rehabilitation Form
  10. Pay the CAD$631 fee and submit the application.
If you require more information, contact:

Parole Board of Canada
410 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario KK1A 0R1

Pardons INFO line: 1-800-874-2652


My boyfriend is currently studying here in BC Canada, and has a student visa. He’s from Ecuador and we want to marry here and so he can become a permanent resident so schooling will be cheaper for him. What are the requirements for him to become a PR here asap?

If your boyfriend is going to remain a student, the only way he can become a permanent resident is by you sponsoring him. You can do so one of two ways:

  • marrying him and then sponsoring him
  • living with him for at least one year and then sponsoring him.
In both cases, you will have to prove the relationship is genuine. It will not be “ASAP.” The current processing time is 12 months minimum, and that’s what they’re aspiring to.

I have been in Canada since i was 9. my guardians never applied for Canadian citizenship and as i got older i got a criminal record and was given an order of deportation. I won my case through my Humanitarian application and after 10 long years i was given a waiver from criminal inadmissibility. And was wondering how long will it take for me to receive my PR card. i have sent in my Medical and prints plus paid the full fee for my PR. What i am left with is now just wondering how long this process will take?

Your case is really specific, but the government does post a general processing time for humanitarian and compassionate grounds: 39 months. So it will be 39 months from the day you submitted your application. Provided the application is successful, it will then 45 days until your PR Card is mailed to you.

i just got married with a Canadian and i get deportation BC i have a problem with the law, what can i do to go back to Canada or what documents, I’m gonna need

You need to contact a consultant or lawyer, as this situation cannot be fixed easily.

does phillipines recognize canadian pardons

You should contact the Embassy of the Philippines or your nearest consulate.

Do u have to change your address on an existing passport

No you do not have to change your passport when you change your address.

once a pardon has been granted, how long does it take for Ottawa RCMP to remove it from CPIC?

Pardons, technically speaking, do not exist any more; they have been replaced by “record suspensions”. The RCMP should remove the record from the database at the time the record suspension is granted. However, provincial agencies may or may not follow suit. They are not obligated to do so.

I was ticketed for driving with undue care and attention. Is this a criminal offence?

Depending on the jurisdiction of the offense, it is likely a statutory offence or misdemeanor, that is, not a criminal offence.

I obtained an absolute discharge. Do I still need to apply for a pardon to absolve me of any blame?

No. If your criminal record only consists of an absolute or conditional discharge. Absolute discharges are automatically removed from the CPIC computer after a year and conditional discharges after three years. If you obtained a discharge prior to 1992, you should contact the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to remove your record.

How do I apply for a pardon? Do I need a lawyer?

No. You must obtain a pardon application form and guide from the Parole Board of Canada. You can do this either by calling the pardon information line on 1-800-874-2652 or download the pack online.

How much does it cost to get a pardon?

The application fee is $150. There is also a further $25 fee payable to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to obtain a Criminal Record. Each applicant must submit their fingerprints on through the RCMP.

What is the benefit of getting a pardon?

The main benefit is that whenever a criminal record check is performed the pardoned record will not show up. This is particularly beneficial for people who are applying for new jobs, positions in the Canadian Forces or federal authorities.

I am not a Canadian citizen but I have been convicted of an offence in Canada. Can I apply for a pardon?

Anyone can apply for a pardon regardless of their nationality providing you have waited the required 3 years (summary offences) or 5 years (indictable offences) after you have served your sentence and paid any fines.

Will my pardon be recognized outside of Canada?

No. Some countries may recognize your Canadian pardon but many will not. For example, the US will not recognize your pardon.

How long will it take to get a pardon?

Once you have waited the required 3 years (summary offences) or 5 years (indictable offences) after you have served your sentence and paid any fines it will take you around 12-18 months to have your pardon granted, although each case is considered on an individual basis.

If I obtain a pardon, does it mean that my criminal record will be wiped out?

No. Your record will be taken from the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) and your criminal record will not show up on any checks of the public records in Canada, which means that persons with pardoned convictions will not be discriminated against when they apply for a job or for a position in the Canadian Forces or federal authority offices. The Solicitor General of Canada always retains the ability to disclose information on past crimes regardless of your pardon.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes