Top Menu

British Passport FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

UK Passport Applications and Registration as a British Citizen: get your passport from Canada

  • Determine if you have to Register as a British Citizen:
    • You don’t have to register if
      • You have a UK passport already
      • You were born in the UK
      • Your father was born in the UK and your parents married or you were born from 2006 on
      • Your mother was born in the UK and you were born since 1982
    • Otherwise you must Register as a British Citizen
  • Complete your passport application online
  • Sign the unique declaration and submit it
  • Submit any additional documents if required
  • Receive your passport in the mail
If my child (born in Canada) was included on my British passport, does that mean they held a British passport?

If you were born in the UK or naturalized in the UK, your child is British.

Depending upon when your child is born there could be a registration process first but, mostly like your child is British.

It doesn’t matter whether or not their name was included on your passport, though this does mean they have a record of your child and so it might make the application process slightly shorter.

I am a permanent resident of Canada (30 yrs) and a British citizen, I am travelling to uk for 3 weeks I have a pr card and uk passport is this all I need to travel?


I am a Canadian Citizen. My parents were both British, which enable me to get a British passport in my 20’s. I am 50 now and my UK Passport expired 20 years ago. My mother is alive but my father has passed on. I think i could apply for a new passport, but was wondering if my children could apply for a UK passport ?

No, your children cannot inherit your British citizenship – that’s because you were not born in the UK.

I lost my uk passport many years ago, and i have been living in canada for over 45 years and looking to move to the united states. Is there an actual office i can go to that can help me with my uk passport application in Canada? also can i apply to live in the united states with my uk passport?

North American UK Passport applications were centralized in Washington, DC a long time ago. In the last decade, that office was closed and they were moved to the UK. You can apply online now, though the process will take longer for you, and you will have to provide more documentation, because your last passport was so long ago.

Nothing about UK citizenship entitles you to live in the US. You’ll have to immigrate. And it’s worth noting that older age is not normally an asset when immigrating somewhere.

Do I need British birth certificate to renew British passport online

If you have a valid or recently expired UK passport you do not need your birth certificate. However, if your expired passport is old enough that it does not contain biometric data – i.e. it is an old blue passport – then you need your birth certificate to apply.

I was born in Scotland, but immigrated as a child to Canada. I hold a UK passport and want to come live and work in Scotland. Does my UK passport entitle me to move there, or do I need to apply for more documentation?

Your UK passport entitles you to live and work in Scotland.

Cost to renew a British passport?


I am applying for a US tourist visa. I hold only a British passport and have permanent resident card in Canada. On the visa they want the place my U.K. Passport was issued in July 2015. I can’t remember. Can you help

Nearly all UK passports are produced in Durham, England.

I am a dual Canadian/British citizen (born in Canada to British parents who weren’t yet Canadian citizens). I was issued a British passport a few years ago and I am travelling to the UK soon. Can I use my British passport to enter the UK but use my Canadian one going home?

That’s exactly what you should do.

How to dispose of expired passports

You can return your passport to the agency that issued it. Or you can destroy it.

I have a British & a Canadian passport and I am going to England for 10 days do I show both passports.

When you enter the UK, you show your British passport.

When you return to Canada, you show your Canadian passport.

my kids were born in Britain. I hold a dual natioanlity..UK and Canada. Can I visit Canada with just british passports for my kids

Now, they now need Canadian passports to come to Canada. They are ineligible for eTAs.

I am a female Canadian citizen born in 1996, my Mother and other maternal family members are from England. My mother came to Canada in 1993 and became a Canadian citizen in 2003, my father is a Canadian citizen but they never got married and are not together. I travelled to England in 1998 and was placed onto my mothers British passport until it expired. I would like to know whether I am eligible to get my British passport as I plan to go to England to study.

You are. You can apply for your UK passport using your birth certificate and your mother’s birth certificate.

We are Canadians living in ONTARIO. We have British passports (having lived in the UK for 30 years) and we need to renew them for our trip to the UK in June. What do we do?

Apply online.

I am a British/Irish/Canadian citizen, born in 1969 in Belfast. My family immigrated to Canada in 1970. I am currently in the process of applying for my first British passport. I am, however, trying to navigate the website and it’s not entirely clear what documents I need regarding my parents. It says I need to provide the following: • their passports at the time of the applicant’s conception • full birth certificates (showing both the child’s and parents’ details) • their marriage certificate. It’s not clear if I need to provide all of these or just one of these. I know I can order their birth and marriage certicates through NI Direct; however, for the passport numbers, I don’t think they’re in possession of them anymore. I find it kind of strange that the website and HM Passport Office require so much or any information on my parents given I was born in the UK.

You have to provide your birth certificate. The information you are referring to is for those claiming UK citizenship through descent (i.e. those born abroad).


Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes