Top Menu

Travel Document FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

A Refugee Travel Document allows refugees in Canada to travel outside of canada without a passport from their home country.

A PR travel document (PRTD also known as Form IMM 5529) allows Canadian permanent residents who are not in the country to prove their immigration status on their return to Canada.

More information is available from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (CIC).

if you have a visa made to dubai on your indian passport prior to getting your new Canadian passport ; can you travel to Dubai with the Indian passport even After you get the Canadian citizenship. The reason for soing this is because the visa to Dubai is made using those indian passport details? also can I surrender my Indian passport after travel to Dubai? or in India?The next port of travel from dubai will be to India where in I can use the new Canadian passport; After which I will surrender my Indian passport in India. Please let me know if this will be okay to do so

If you are a citizen of more than one country you can choose which passport to use to enter another country. It’s probably a good idea to use the same citizenship to enter that country in the future.

If you are a citizen of a country which automatically revokes citizenship when you become a citizen of a second country this could be a problem, however. Countries which have this policy have a hard time enforcing it so as long as your passport is still valid you should be okay.

I applied for permanent resident travel documents here in Manila Philippines. My pr card was expired last Oct. 2016 I came home last august of 2013. Im just worried about my application..Am i still have the change to get a prtd?did i loose my pr status?

If you don’t meet the residence requirement (2 years in Canada between October 2011 and October 2016) your status will likely be revoked due to the submission of the PRTD application.

i apply a traveldocument for my child about 4 month ago and I haven’t received yet every time they are asking me some information and I am sending for them can I go there in Ottawa in person to give all the required information

Yes, you can apply in person at

Passport Office (Certificate of Identity Section)
Place du Centre, Commercial Level 2
200 Promenade du Portage
Gatineau, QC

My wife,my son and I landed at June 2008, we left Canada with PR cards. I reentered only by myself later and stayed in Canada until I got citizenship last year and I came back to reunite with them. We plan to move back to Canada next year. Can my wife and son apply for PRTD? Or they have to forsake the PR status first and reapply again?

They should not apply for PRTDs. They do they will likely lose their status because IRCC will become aware that they do not meet the residence requirement.

However, they may be able to enter Canada by car with their Records of Landing. There is a risk that they could have their status revoked because of their attempt to enter, but if they are able to enter then they can stay until they meet (or exceed) the residence requirement.

If they don’t want to do that, they can renounce their status and you can sponsor them. (Though you can only sponsor your son if he is a dependent.)

I am a permanent residents as a refugee and i want to travel to visit my native country. Is it possible ?

If you have a Canadian travel document or certificate of identity it will say whether or not you can travel to your home country.

If you don’t yet have one, apply for one and when it is issued it will state any travel restrictions on it.

I came to Canada in Jan 2013, and applied for Refugee, it was accepted and I got my PR in April 2015. I have gone back home, for two and half months, I have been asked by CSBA, can you please guide what I should do now, and what they will do in my case. I have proven that it was an emergency due to my father passed away and also the government has changed and there is no more treat for me.

You should speak a lawyer.

I am permanent resident and applied for travel document by mail on March 10,2017, but up to now I did not receive my documents. I tracked my application, and it was received on March 13,2017 but I have not heard from them yet. I am worried because I sent my original PR & other documents as well.

Three weeks processing is pretty normal.

Hi, I have a refugee travel document, Can I apply for a USA Visa with this document?

Yes you can

I’m a Canadian permanent resident and have a travel document issued by the government of Canada. My question is do I need a Visa to travel to the U.K and if i do, am I eligible to apply with my current travel document?

You will need to ask the UK authorities. Try contacting the British High Commission in Ottawa.

can i withdraw a permanent resident travel document application

Yes you can. Contact IRCC to do so.

Iam in Canada with a Canadian Refugee travel document. Do I need a visa to go to Jamaica?

Most countries treat Canadian refugee travel documents differently than passports. You should call the Jamaican Embassy to find out whether or not you need a visa.

I have a refugee Travel Document issued in Canada ,I want to travel and my flight will transit in US. Do I need a US Transit Visa ?

Most likely. You should contact the airline to be sure.

I am a permanent resident and I need an emergency passaporte how I can get it and if I’m illegal for one

How to get an emergency passport (and if you can get one) depends upon which country you are from.

If you mean a Canadian Refugee Travel Document, you can get that from Passport Canada.

How long it takes to renew my travel document after I do my application???

The processing time is 20 days, that does not including the time it takes to mail it to you.

You can apply for urgent service but you need to apply in person in Gatineau, QC. You will have to prove you are travelling. You can pay for next day or expedited (2-9 business days) service.

I am a Protected Refugee in Canada, My Permanent Residence application is in process. I have Canadian travel document for refugee as well.My question is, I want to go to some other country to complete my education that is not possible if I stay in Canada,Am i eligible to go to some other country to study on my refugee travel document without having PR?The duration of studies will be of 2 years.

You should speak to a refugee lawyer. But, to the best of our knowledge, you cannot leave Canada to study elsewhere if you want to maintain refugee status in Canada and obtain PR through it.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes