Top Menu


Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

Every Canadian permanent resident who is not yet a citizen should hold a valid PR Card. PR cards for newly landed immigrants are issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) upon arrival. CIC are also responsible for dealing with lost, stolen or damaged PR Cards.

How to get a new PR Card:

  • Complete the application form
  • Gather your documents:
    • Your passport
    • Your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) or Record of Landing
    • PR Card
    • Canadian ID (Driver’s License for example)
    • CRA Notice of Assessment
  • Make photocopies of your documents
  • Pay the Fee
  • Submit application and photocopies to IRCC
  • Get your PR Card in the mail
I am a Canadian citizen living and working in Singapore. My 10 year old son is also a Canadian citizen. Due to a change in the Canadian citizenship rules, my youngest daughter who was born in Singapore, did not automatically receive Canadian citizenship. She is 5 years old now and her PR has now been approved. However due to my job in Singapore, I would find it very difficult to keep her in Canada for the 730 day requirement for PRs. Is it possible to get an exemption to this rule for Citizen parents of very young PR children?

She is exempt from the residency requirement because of your citizenship. Next time you apply for her PR Card, you just need to prove you are her parent and live with her.

My husband is a Canadian Permanent Resident for 10 years and his PR is expired but is in the process of being renewed since February. I am a Canadian. He is a Nicaraguan citizen with a valid Nicaraguan passport. He has a valid US Visa since 2009 that expires in 2019. We as a family with our daughter are going to Cancun, Mexico for a wedding of our daughter’s Godmother. I know he can leave Canada but can he board on the airline on his return flight back to Vancouver, BC Canada? As grounds airline staff is it their job to authorise the passengers right to board in this circumstance? Or could he still board and be screened and likely questioned at thr Canadian Customs when landed? He will apply for the Travel Document with all supporting documents for PRs once he arrives in Cancun MX. Does he go to the Cancun Consulate agency? Or is it to be mailed only to Mexico City? We are concern with time and safety. Our trip is only 7 days long. Will he at least be able to board the plane and prove his residency at Canadian Customs once he lands in the airport? If he ends up having to fly to US, does he need to also prove his trip home to Canada from the US airport (Seattle or Bellingham)? I ask because I am unsure if US would simply let him with his US Visa and his Canadian residence address and supporting documents! My husband then would travel in a commercial vehicle (Shuttle bus) to Canada. But he would get off the shuttle bus at a stop before the border and travel back in a private car to enter Canada with his expired PR pending renewal and all necessary support documents to prove his residency. I will pick up my husband at the border.

He will likely not be allowed to board the plane unless he has a PRTD. If you are unsure of where to submit the application where it will be processed fastest, you can contact the Consulate. (You can also send the application ahead of time to try to get it processed by the time you get there.)

His other option, taking the bus to the border and then driving across with you, is much more likely to succeed simply because PRTD processing time is erratic and there is no guarantee it will get done while you are there.

Enter Canada with expired pr card

Fly to the US. Drive to Canada with your COPR/Record of Landing. You cannot use the bus or the train, it has to be a car.

I have been living in Edmonton 27 years now … but my PRcard expired 2 years ago .. how long will it take for me to get my new card

The current processing time is 17 days as of August 2019, provided your application isn’t investigated further.

how long it takes issuance of permanent resident card after landing interview

12 calendar days as of August 2019

I was a Protectec Person here in Canada. On January 2016 I applied for my PR and I include my common Law Partner Who is in El Salvador in my PR Aplication. Today I got my PR, just wating for my PR card. So my questions are…1 how many time do we have to wait for some news about my partner PR? Is my partner acepted at the same time?

If you were living apart for a long time it would be very hard to convince IRCC that you are a common law couple.

You should check the application status online.

I was granted PR of CANADA in the year 2012 and it is valid till june 2018. I just went for 20 days to canada and came back to India due to some family circumstances. Now can i go back to canada before June 2018? What will be the process if i go to canada in another two three months for PR extension?

You can attempt to enter Canada before your card expires. You may get in without any problems or they might discover how long you have been outside and begin investigating your status.

Once you are in Canada you need to wait until you meet the residence requirement (2 out of every 5 years) before even thinking of renewing you PR Card.

how do i renounce my permanent resident status

We wrote about how to renounce your permanent resident status here.

pleace help me to find answer to my question. My husbands PR card is expires May 31 , 2017. He haven’t fill full PR card requerment to be in Canada days required.He have a ticket of entry to Canada 25 may 2017. he is planning to entry Canada for 20 day, for ours daugthers graduation. Will he have problem entering Canada at border even his card will be expired in 5 days

He probably will. They will probably notice the date and ask him about his travels. They will likely let him in but there is a risk that his status could be investigated or worse.

How many days before I can apply for New PR card before expiry.

6 months ahead of time.

For employment history on my PR renewal application, do I need to provide specific dates or is the month + year sufficient?

The month and year is usually sufficient.

I landed in Canada with my parents when I was 4 yr old back in 1995. We left Canada shortly after we landed and didn’t complete the process. I am holding a US passport and is a US citizen. I do not have a Canadian PR card. Would Canada still consider I am a landed immigrant? Can I enter Canada using my US passport without the Canadian PR card?

I landed in Canada with my parents when I was 4 yr old back in 1995. We left Canada shortly after we landed and didn’t complete the process. I am holding a US passport and is a US citizen. I do not have a Canadian PR card. Would Canada still consider I am a landed immigrant? Can I enter Canada using my US passport without the Canadian PR card? Thanks.

The answer depends upon what you mean by “didn’t complete the process.” If you landed and became Permanent Residents, then you still have that status unless you voluntarily renounced it. However, if you somehow didn’t become Permanent Residents when you landed then you wouldn’t be. (We don’t know why that would have happened but the laws were different in 1995.)

I came here as a permanent resident in feburary 2017 under FSW (Express entry). I am presently working for the employer who sponsored me for the job while i was back home and got me a LMIA. (worth 600 points) and it helped me get PR. I am not happy working for this employer and want to change the job , but the employer is telling me that i can not and they can cancel my PR. I want to know whether it is true or can i change my job.

You can change your job whenever you want if you are a permanent resident. Your employer has no control over your status if you have permanent status.

i landed as a permanent resident in feb 2017,and started working with the employer who had given me a lmia(Job Offer). My question is can i leave this employer and work anywhere in canada if i have a better opportunity?

If you’re a permanent resident you don’t need an LMIA and you can work for anyone you want.

If you came here with a job offer backed by an LMIA, you came here as a temporary worker and not a permanent resident.

Me and my wife landed in Canada on 13th March’17, got the entry after applying for PR card at the airport.We gave the address of a friend living in Toronto. We had to return back to India on 3rd April due to some business related issue. Just wanted to know if it is Ok to travel while the PR card is not received. Recently i got a mail from CIC asking for another photo to process PR card. So is it Ok if i send it from my home country? We plan to return back next year after settling down my business here for long term…In the mean time my friend in Toronto will send us the PR card when he receives it…Kindly suggest..

You can submit the photo. They will see the postmark and know it is not from Canada. Since you have already landed there is nothing that the officer can do at the moment but presumably it will be noted for the future when it is time to renew your PR Card and your application may receive more scrutiny at that time.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes