Top Menu

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

Every visitor to Canada (except American citizens) needs an eTA to travel to Canada as of March, 2016. eTA applications are made online at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a visa-waiver program allowing some nationals to travel to Canada without a visitor visa.

If you are eligible to us an eTA instead of a visitor visa, you must do the following:

  1. Get your passport, credit or debit card ready, and read the help document
  2. Use the online form to apply. The form cannot be saved. So have your information ready.
  3. Pay $7 CAD for your eTA right after you complete the form.
  4. Get an email about your eTA application. Most applications are approved within minutes.
You may need to submit documents before your application can be approved. If this happens to you, an email will be sent with instructions within 72 hours.

My parents have submitted a eta application, but were once Canadian permanent residents! Although they don’t have their pr card anymore can they travel to Canada?

If they haven’t renounced their permanent residence, their ETA applications will be rejected.

my passport expires on the 8th november 2017 and i am travelling on the 14 August 2017 until the 4th September 2017. i applied for eta and it was approved and valid up to the 7th November. Should i applied for a new passport seeing mine is due for renewal and applied for new eta with the new passport or can i travel with it and renew it upon my return? will i be able to gain entry into Canada with the older passport with less validity?

You will be granted entry but likely only as long as your passport is valid. Given that you intend to leave before that, there shouldn’t be a problem.

I am a Ghanaian and I have an eTA visa but I don’t know why I can’t travel from Ghana with it

If your question refers to travelling to Canada: Ghanaians need visitor visas to come to Canada. We don’t know why you’ve been granted an eTA because you’re not eligible for an eTA.

I am a Mexican citizen currently living in Canada, a couple of days ago I officially received my “Confirmation of Permanent Residency.” I’ve decided that to get it validated, I’m going to go home for two weeks in April. Do I need to get an eTA? Or will departing/returning to Canada with my COPR and my USA Visitor Visa be enough?

You need an eTA if you don’t have a valid eTA at the moment.

Will my Global Entry (GOES) work for entry into Canada instead of the eTA

Global Entry is for entry into the United States, not Canada.

If you’re an American citizen, you do not need an eTA to travel to Canada.

If you’re a citizen of another country who has a Global Entry card due to frequent travel to the US, you need either an eTA or a visitor visa, depending upon your citizenship.

how can I see if I have an eta on my passport?

The eTA is electronically connected to your passport. If you applied for an eTA and it was approved, you have it.

I arrived to the airport after my 1 month stay in Canada, I’m from New Zealand. I didn’t show my eAT before I went through customs. Will I not be allowed back in Canada because of this?

An eTA is permission to travel to Canada. There is no obligation to show the eTA when leaving Canada or entering another country.

We were permanent residents in Alberta Canada for 30 years . We returned to Scotland about 6 years ago. Our PR cards expired in October 2014.We went for a visit about 4 years ago to visit our children. When we checked in at the airport we were told we should return our PR cards to Canada which we did. We never got any reply and they were sent registered mail. How can we find out if we are no longer able to return and if not ,how can we get proof so we can get ETA so we can visit as we cant seem to get an ETA without some kind of document. Hope you can help. I have copies of our PR cards.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out whether or not your status was cancelled is to file applications for Verifications of Status (VOS). These applications normally take a really long time so what you need to do is to submit proof that you need the VOSs with your applications. Travel plans and proof that you cannot get your eTAs without the proof of no status would be the best thing.

I am UK citizen on IEC visa til November 2017, I am in a common law relationship and shortly will apply for PR and open work permit, in August 2017 me and my partner will got to a holiday in Europe together will I have any problem getting back in to Canada or will I be ok as my IEC is still valid?

You should be fine to leave and return as long as your eTA is still valid in addition to your IEC visa. Your IEC visa is for you to enter Canada, but your eTA is necessary to travel back to Canada by air.

I am a UK resident and have just applied for an eta to travel to Canada for an holiday. I have received a letter back and they say I am or maybe a resident of Canada. Is there a contact telephone number as I am due to go on holiday In February and I need to resolve this quickly. I have emailed the gov site in canada and am still waiting for a reply

You will need to renounce your permanent residency in order to get an eTA. Unless you have the contact information of a specific person at IRCC, emailing them may not get a response. Their phone number is 1-888-242-2100, but that phone number is not normally accessible from outside of Canada.

My sister in law lived here as a small child but moved back to the Netherlands 30 years ago…they were going to come to Canada for a visit…tomorrow, and now they are telling her that she needs a PR card?As far as she knows, she is a dutch citizen..what can she do?

So your sister landed as a permanent resident but left before she became a Canadian citizen? Unfortunately, under the new Electronic Travel Authorization program, she needs to renounce her permanent residence. She has to do this because Canadian permanent residence is only revoked if the resident is investigated. So she still has this status and with the new eTA she cannot travel to Canada without a PR Card or without renouncing her residency.

If I got eTA last week it’s mean I lost my PR rights? My PR card as expired. And I just approve for eTA. Wondering what will need to do in Canadian airport?

You shouldn’t have been able to get approved for an eTA as a permanent resident. It means one of a couple things:

  • The system is not yet complete enough to catch all PRs OR
  • You are no longer a permanent resident OR
  • You have a common name.
You may learn more at the port of entry.

If you successfully enter Canada, you should apply for a new PR Card if you qualify, or remain in Canada until you qualify to apply for one, provided you still have your permanent resident status.

I have missed my first and middle name off my Eta. I accidentally checked the box that says My Eta has been approved but I am worried now that my first and middle name are missing.

You need to complete a new eTA application to fix the mistake.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Greece and have a Canadian passport. My son was born in Greece and has a Greek passport. In the past he was able to enter Canada with his Greek passport. I was recently told that although I have not yet registered him as a dual citizen, he is automatically considered a dual citizen and can no longer enter Canada with his Greek passport as he is not eligible for eTA. We have to enter Canada this week because of a family death and do not have time to get him a Canadian passport. Is there any way he can get special authorization to enter the country with his Greek passport this one last time?

You or he will have to apply for “special authorization to enter Canada.” You can do so here.

When applying for a special authorization to enter Canada who signs the form for a boy born Feb 14 2003 holding a Canadian Citizenship Certificate?

The parent or guardian of the child should sign the application form on the child’s behalf.


Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes