Top Menu

Global Entry FAQ

Support help line: 1-855-760-0888

The Global Entry Program is one the trusted traveller initiatives from the United States Customs and Border Protection. It has been designed to expedite customs and immigration clearance into the United States for air travellers who are US citizens or lawful permanent residents.

  1. To enrol in Global Entry, applicants must first file an application with US Customs and Border Protection. There is a $100 non-refundable fee for the application, even for infants and children (some credit cards reimburse this fee). Renewal of Global Entry requires an additional fee.
  2. Then submit to an interview and background check. The wait for an interview may be months. During the interview, the applicant’s fingerprints are captured and a digital photo is taken.
  3. Once an application is approved, the card is mailed to the applicant. The applicant may then use the Global Entry kiosk at any participating airport for a duration of five years past one’s next birthday following approval.
Can a US citizen use Global Entry card and no passport, just the passport number, to enter Canada?

No. Global Entry is meant for entering the US only.

I am an American citizen who just received confirmation that my Canadian Permanent Residency was approved. I plan to arrive in a few months and just realized that I am almost out of pages in my passport (I have just two free). Should I arrive in Canada with my current US passport (and later apply for a new one) – Or should I renew my US passport before arriving in Canada (and show my old one as well)?

Renew your US passport after you land. It’s easy to do from Canada and this way you won’t create unnecessary hassles for yourself.

My wife and I, who live in Maryland, USA, are travelling to Ottawa In July. We both have valid Global Entry cards. Can we use the expedited border crossing lanes when we enter Canada?

No, Global Entry is for expedited entry into the United States only. For expedited entry into Canada as well, you need NEXUS Cards.

As a Canadian citizen with a permanent resident card what form do i fill out to apply for global entry?

You can apply for Global Entry here.

I’m a Canadian NEXUS card holder. Should I become a Global Entry program member?

If you have already been fingerprinted for your NEXUS card, and the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) agency has your passport information on file, you are technically already a member of the Global Entry program. As a Canadian, you should remain a NEXUS member as Global Entry card holders cannot use NEXUS lanes when returning to Canada. If you wish to use Global Entry kiosks in US airports, you should check online whether you need to provide CBP any additional information to use these kiosks.

If I have a US entry visa, am I eligible for the Global Entry program?

Some visa holders are eligible and some are not. Please see this list for who is not eligible.

I have a criminal record but my conviction was years ago. Can I become a Global Entry program member?

No. A criminal conviction disqualifies you from being ?low-risk? traveler in the eyes of the Customs and Border Protection agency. Applicants should obtain a pardon before applying.

I frequently travel with my wife and children. Are they covered by my Global Entry membership?

No. Each member of your family must make an individual application onto the Global Entry program. Children must be aged 14 or over and must have the consent of a parent or legal guardian to join.

As a Global Entry program member, can I fast track immigration and customs in any other countries?

At the moment you can only expedite entry into the Netherlands at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam using the Privium lanes. You can only do this if you enrolled for FLUX benefits as part of your Global Entry application. You must then attend two separate interviews with border officials from the Netherlands and the US.

Do I have to be a frequent traveler to apply for the Global Entry program?

No. Whilst the Global Entry program works well for frequent fliers, it is not limited to them and there is no minimum number of trips that you have to take to qualify.

How do I get a Global Entry sticker on my passport?

You must visit any Global Entry or NEXUS center to have a sticker attached to your passport.

I attended my Global Entry interview over 3 weeks ago but I still haven’t received a membership card.

Membership cards have only been issued as part of the Global Entry program since July 12, 2011. If you applied before this date, you must request one via the online application system. It will cost $15. If you applied after this date, you should have received your card within 2 weeks of your approval. The card is only necessary if you wish to make use of NEXUS or SENTRI lanes.

Do I need a Global Entry sticker on my passport?

No. You do not need the sticker to use the program. However, the sticker identifies you to customs officials as a member. It is better to have one to avoid delays.

What is the difference between Global Entry and NEXUS card?

NEXUS card is available to Canadian and US citizens and permanent residents. It can be used for air land and sea travel but only between the US and Canada.

Global Entry is only available to US citizens and permanent residents. It can only be used to expedite entry into the US at major airports but you can travel in from any destination in the world.

I want to renew my membership. What do I need to do?

You must submit your renewal application and the fee. You will be notified through the TTP online system whether or not you need an interview.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes