Top Menu

Canada Sponsorship FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

  • Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their immediate family and “other eligible relatives” for permanent residence in Canada.
  • There are three types of partner sponsorship:
    • spousal sponsorship – for married couples
    • common-law sponsorship – for couples currently living together
    • conjugal sponsorship – for couples prevented from marrying or living together
  • There are two ways of sponsoring your partner:
    • Inland sponsorship – your partner is already physical in Canada
    • Outland sponsorship – your partner is not yet in Canada
  • Sponsoring a child is more straight-forward whereas sponsoring your parents can is more complicated.
For further information see Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship and Canada (IRCC, formerly CIC).

I’m from Bangladesh. I have a question about my best friend he is married. His ex-wife not staying with him. She is an Colombian citizen. This time my friend is in another relationship and his girlfriend from Canada. The have 2years 5 month successful relationship. They already decided to marry in another country like Malaysia. I mean his girlfriend will come in Malaysia then they will marry. My question after marriage with his girlfriend when his girlfriend will apply for him to Canada visa and that time how he prove he is single or how to Canadian embassy find out he is married or not?

If your friend and the ex-wife are fully divorced, there is no issue here. He just needs to submit a copy of the divorce certificate (with a traslation, if necessary).

However, if he is still married, whether it’s in Colombia or Bangladesh, he cannot get married in Malaysia. Even if Malaysia were to somehow allow this, Canada would not recognize the marriage as legitimate and therefore not allow the sonsorship.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Toronto. If I sponsor my husband who is living in Dubai to come to Canada, Can he land here get his PR and go back to Dubai?

For a time.

Once your husband is a PR he has to meet the residence requirement (2 years in Canada out of every five) unless you go live with him overseas.

‘m a Permanent Resident, and I wanted to sponsor my fiance as a permanent resident. Is it better for me to bring him here as a tourist and get married then process my papers or go back to the philippines marry him there then come back in Alberta then process his papers? They say its quicker for the residency to get approve if I do the first option.

Here are the differences:

  • inland sponsorship (he’s here in Canada with you): he needs a visitor visa to come here (which is unlikely) and then you cannot appeal any rejection
  • outland sponsorship (you marry in the Philippines, he stays there until get gets PR): he does not need to apply for a visitor visa (unless he wants to come visit you – again the approval is unlikely), you can appeal any rejection.
Many people start with their partner applying for a visitor visa. If it’s approved the partner tries to come to Canada to get married. If it’s not, they marry abroad and go the “outland” route.

My bf wants to move to Canada. I have a PR but i cant get married to him yet.i m still in India. My express entry profile is thru.he doeant want to go on study basis. Is there any way we can get him to Canada. I have plans to start up a buainess.he can invest 15000 canadian dollars. If i taje him as my partner can he thn come to Canada?

You can marry him and sponsor him onnce you have landed in Canada and had your status confirmed.

I am a Canadian resident. I been dating my Dutch boyfriend for 2 years now and we are planning on living together in Canada one year and half from now. I am considering the conjugal sponsorship application. Should we fill in the application and send it? Or would we have to wait for him to be in the country to do So?

Conjugal sponsorship applications are not intended for situations like this. They are usually intended for same-sex couples who cannot marry in the country where the foreign partner lives. If you two can marry – in Canada, in the Netherlands, somewhere else – you should not use this type of application; it will be rejected.

Get married and then you can sponsor him as a spouse.

I’m a Filipino woman, i came here in canada as a visitor. Last week, I got married to my Canadian boyfriend. We’ve known each other for almost 3 years, he invited me to visit him and we got a 1 year multiple entry visa. I came here last June 2019, and exited canada last December 7 and came back December 28. He proposed to me last January 1, 2020 and we got married last February 14, 2020. We’re planning to start our Spousal sponsorship but our marriage license are not still available. We called vital statistics but they told us that we might wait for months to get our marriage license since they have backlogs from last year and they are still processing marriage license from last year. Our problem now is that my Visitor visa will expire on May 15 and we only have two months to start the process but we can’t start the process because we don’t have the marriage license yet. We don’t know what to do next, tho we are planning to apply for my visitor visa extension or apply for open work permit but we’re not sure if it is the right move to do.

Submit the application with any proof of the marriage you have and include a letter saying you are waiting on the marriage license from the provincial Vital Statistics office. If you have written correspondence about the delay, include copies of that with your application.

I am a Canadian permanent resident, my spouse came to Canada and we got married , now I am in Africa (Cotonu ) to do another wedding so I can submit the two marriage certificate to the Canadian government to sponsor my spouse . cos he has a Canada visitor visa My question is , can we both come back to canada on the same day on same flight? And can I declear to the immigration at the port of entry we are both coming together from Africa and he will be staying together in my apartment for a couple of days before he travel back to Africa, or he should book a hotel?

You can travel together.

For the Port of Entry, your husband should bring proof of his return flight. If you want to really be safe he bring proof of property he owns/leases in Benin as well as proof of employment. Without proof of a return flight he may be denied entry.

My husband is Canadian. He came allover to Pakistan to marry me Dec 2014. He started my PR immigration spousal sponsorship in 2015. He is kind of short tempered man & influenced by people gossips which result our unwanted fights. Time passes… 2017 Feb finally my PR immigration got matured & i have been called for interview which my husband hides from me based on condition applied on me to sign per-neptuial agreement for entry in Canada & i was not aware since our lawyer first email to my husband residing in Canada. When things got worse shape when i got email from lawyer stating that your PR immigration sponsorship has been withdrawal upon request of your husband with CIC confirmation letter attached…. Then my family got involved & things turned better again BUT my sponsorship was cancelled. Anyhow, our relation patch up again but never to less new condition applied for he force me to pay all Canadian lawyer fees to re-apply PR immigration which i agreed to safe my marriage. Now i paid from Pakistan in $ all lawyer fees for my case to restart from the beginning. But lawyer email us filled forms to review the details if its okay for both of us…. One hidden secret disclosed….. He was married before which was never shared with me before neither this form information. Now since that day he is not talking to me at all though i am quite till date & had not discuss anything with him. But today he text me with saying to END this relation with the reason that he lost his feeling for me & can’t wait for long for me because of this PR immigration. What is my fault here? What should i do? Will Canadian will help me in this case?j I need true advise. One Canadian Citizen just cant play with my life because Pakistan cant get easy Visa even though i am legal wedded wife of him……

This is not your fault.

There is nothing you can do if he withdraws the sponsorship application or breaks up with you.

The law has since been changed to prevent things like this from happening. Unfortunately for you, it was changed right around when you lost your PR.

I’m 19 years old now and I have a boyfriend from the Philippines we’ve been in a relationship way back 2012 but we broke last 2014 but last year we started talking again and decided ta again decided to get marry next year btw Im PR here in BC, both our parents are okay with,. am I able to bring him here?

He needs to apply for a visitor visa. You cannot sponsor him unless you are married or have been living common law for at least a year.

my bf is still married in Philippines but separated already and his currently in Jeddah working, he wants to convert in Muslim so the 2 of us can get married since annulment in Philippines is taking for ever. Once we get married can I sponsor him from Jeddah to bring him to Canada?

If you marry after his marriage has been annuled, you will be able to sponsor him for permanent residence. However, if you marry while he is still married, Canada does not care what religion he is (or both of you are). Bigamy/polygamy is illegal in Canada and Canada does not recognize those marriages, even if they may be legal in Saudi Arabia.

My boyfriend lives in Poland. If he comes to Canada and we get married can he travel back to Poland to work while waiting for PR ? (he works for advertising company which doesn’t require him to be there all the time – just 3 or 4 times a year for a project). 

Yes, absolutely. This is actally what the Canadian government wants you to do.

But, in this case, you’ll want to apply for sponsorship once he’s left, as it’s officially an “outland” application this way, so he needs to be outside of the country.

That is, unless you meant travel back for work for brief periods. In that case you should go with him, as sponsored spouses on inland applications should have their sponsors with them when they travel outside of Canada.

I am a Canadian citizen who wants to marry an international student currently studying in Canada. What do I need to do to start the sponsorship process?

First, you need to marry them.

Next, you need to download the application off of IRCC’s website and gather all the documentation you need.

Then you mail that application to IRCC, along with the work or study permit application if applicable.

Then you wait 12 months. Normally. But since there’s a pandemic, who knows how long it will take.

I am a permanent resident in Canada and my boyfriend is currently an Indian citizen. Is it possible if my boyfriend comes to Canada on visit visa and I marry him in Canada I can sponsor him

Yes, that is how it works.

what documents do I need to apply for a permanent residence through spousal sponsorship

We wrote an article answering this question: what documents you need to be sponsored for permanent residence.

It’s not a short list, which is why we are just linking to the article instead of repeating the information here.

I am here now in canada and already waiting for permanent residency. I was sponsored by my mother and my status in application is single, but on country ive been im married. How can i sponsor my husband if im married before but my application is single.

That is a problem. You were supposed to declare that you were married on the sponsorship application. You should contact a lawyer or a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) to see if you have any options.

Of course, if the marriage certificate is dated after the sponsorship application was submitted, there is no problem.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes