Top Menu

Canadian Birth Certificate FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

When a child is born in Canada, its parents must register the birth and apply for a birth certificate. This must be done in the province where the child was born.

If you need a replacement birth certificate or you never had one, you must consult the registrars in the relevant province:

In most cases, you need to complete an application and provide proof that you are eligible for the birth certificate (the person named on the certificate, or a parent or child). Not all provinces and territories allow online applications, however.

My boyfriend was born in Toronto, moved to the U.K. when he was 6, is a British citizen and is currently living in Osby, Sweden. He is coming to visit me in Missouri in July. With the new travel regulations, he is having to get his passport renewed and in order to do this, he is having to get a replacement copy of his birth certificate. The Canadian Embassy in Stockholm directed us Ontario’s website. Where we are running into problems is finding a Canadian guarantor in Sweden. He has a guarantor that is on the approved list of professions but we need things expedited so that he can get his passport renewed in time for his trip July 1. We started this process weeks ago and have not made any progress. Help!

You can pay the Ontario government for “premium service” which speeds up the processing time to 5 business days.

My son was born in Winnipeg, MB 09/18/98, in 2000, I moved him and myself to Florida. A couple years later, my mother adopted him while I went to treatment. I had his original certificate, and lost it, then my Mom sent for a new one, of course with her name on it. She gave him back to me when she felt I could handle it. I have had him since he started kindergarten. Whenever apply for a new one and pay for it, it can only be with her last name on it, which he does not go by and never has. My rights were terminated by Vital Statistics, have any suggestions, my son is 18 now and needs an I.D.

Your son is going to have to change the registration of birth, as it seems to have been changed when the adoption took place. He should read up on how to change it. He can call Manitoba Vital Statistics if he is having trouble: 1-866-949-9296.

Born in Nova Scotia, living in Alberta, where do I go to get new birth certificate

You can apply for a Nova Scotia birth certificate here.

i was born in england now living in canada but i would like a new birth certificat

You need to contact the Registrar for the country you were born in: England and Wales are handled by the same office, but Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own.

I need a cn birth certificate to apply to collect my Social security in the USA . How do I get it as I only have my passport

Contact the Registrar General or Vital Statistics Office to get your Canadian Birth Certificate.

how can i replace my lost birth certificate

You need to apply for a new birth certificate at your province’s Vital Statistics Office or Registrar General.

Hi my mum was born in Ottawa, Vanvier city in Canada. I need her birth certificate in order to apply for a passport. Where can i get it from?

You can order your mother’s birth certificate online from the Ontario government.

I was born in Montreal Canada, but am living in the USA. I would like to get a Canadian passport, but need my birth certificate. I understand that the wallet sized birth certificate I received in 1987 is no longer valid. I have tried to use the Vital Statistics Canada office But I keep running into roadblocks, such as needing a Canadian issued Social Security number. Can you please tell me how I can get my Birth Certificate?

There is no federal vital statistics office. You need to contact the Quebec Directeur de l’etat civil. You do not need a SIN number to replace your birth certificate.

I have a relative who died at sea in 1932, and I would like to track down his death certificate. He was taken off ship in Puerto Rico, and then shipped back to Canada. I can’t find his dc in the Ontario archive, so I’m wondering if it is stored at External Affairs, or in Puerto Rico.

You should contact the Archives of Canada. If they don’t have the information then you will likely have to head down to Puerto Rico.

My son will be born in Canada, me and my wife are not Canadian citizen. To support him apply the birth certificate and also the passport, do we need a local attorney to be his birth guarantee? Will the registrar or vital statistics provide attorney service?

You do not need to an attorney to be present at your son’s birth. You can apply to the provincial registrar or vital statics agency once he is born for the birth certificate. Once you have the birth certificate, you can apply for his passport.

My son was born in Alberta Canada and we now live in the UK. I have lost his birth certificate, how do I replace it.

You need to apply for your Albertan birth certificate through one of the private companies authorized to provide the service in Alberta. Learn more.

I have no birth certificate from the country I was born in. Now I am a Canadian transgender wanting to legally change my name in Ontario. I do have a national ID from the country I was born in, Will that work

You will have to submit the documentation required by the Office of the Registrar general including

  • a photocopy of your Canadian citizenship certificate or card
  • a photocopy of your birth certificate
  • photocopies of any previous name change certificates (if applicable)
  • court-certified copies of court orders (if applicable).
Any document that is not in English or French will have to be translated and supported by an affidavit from a professional translator.

Since you don’t have your birth certificate, you have two options:

  1. Apply for your birth certificate from your home country before you apply for this name change.
  2. Submit a written explanation along with your name change application as to why you are not able to provide a birth certificate.

Can I get a copy of my canadian birth certificate in the UK

The rules for applying for a birth certificate vary from province to province. You can find links to all the different websites below:

You can apply from anywhere. The issue arises: will the Registrar or Department that issues the certificates pay for postage to another country? You have two options:

  • If you are applying by mail, send a self-addressed and stamped return envelope; OR
  • Contact the relevant authority and ask them if they can mail it to you.

im a canadian citizen married to a filipina who has a son carrying her surname, we would like to know how can i have her 7yr old son carry my surname? in his birth certificate it says that the father is UNKNOWN. We like to know so we can immigrate as soon as possible

That depends on where the birth occurred. If the birth occurred in Canada, you will have to speak to the vital statistics office or registrar about a declaration of paternity. If it’s outside of Canada, you will need to contact the relevant jurisdiction.

How do I find a Canadian birth Certificate of my grand father’s when it is more than 95 years old?

You need to apply for a new birth certificate for your deceased grandfather.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes