Top Menu

Q&A Categories Archives: PR Card FAQ

I filed my PR card renewal in January 2017 and sent everything with registered mail. I know through the package mail tracking system that they received it on January 28th. I still haven’t received any notification that they started my application process. When I go online and put my PR card number in it doesn’t show me anything. Is there any other way to check my status? I have a trip planned for my kids’birthday in mid June. Can I apply for the Travel Document within Canada before I go on the trip? We are flying to the Dominican Republic.

Call IRCC at 1-888-242-2100 to check your application status.

If your PR Card will not be ready by the time you leave, you can try to get a PRTD before you leave, but you will need to know your hotel address. The processing time is usually 2-3 weeks.

Continue Reading

My Canadian PR will expire on February 8th 2017, during 5 years I lived in Canada 562 days. And now I’m outside of Canada due to my health issue. Do I have any options to not go to Canada now or in 3-5 months till I recover, or there is no way and I need to go back now or I will lose my PR card? I counted that If I go on June 30th 2017 I will collect 785 days in 5 years. But my health situation is serious and will be better If I stay outside and take care of my health at least for some more months. So please let me know what should I expect? what is better to do?

You should return to Canada before your PR card expires. If you don’t, you will have an extremely hard time returning to Canada and you could lose your status.

Once you have resided in Canada again for three months, you can make use of our healthcare system. Once you have meet the residence requirement, you can apply for a new PR Card.

Continue Reading

I have applied for immigration to Canada in 2011, so we submitted an application for myself as main applicant, my wife and daughter as dependents. So we went together but I didn’t sponsor her, we landed and I went in and out While I haven’t met my residency obligations. but I am a holder of an Expired PR (date of Expiry is May 2016). My wife and daughter are living now in Canada as PR holders. my PR got expired when I was outside Canada and I am out of Canada now. can my wife sponsor me now? if positive, do I need to ask to withdraw my residency status first so that my wife can apply to sponsor me? please note that while being a resident in Canada, I have sponsored my daughter who has already landed and became a permanent resident 4 month ago. will withdrawing my residency rights affect her legal presence as a resident in Canada? and will the fact that I already sponsored her within the last 2 years affect / forbid me from being sponsored by my wife? Can I initiate the sponsorship application by my wife before I withdraw my residency rights first?

When your PR Card expired, you did not automatically lose your status.

Your wife cannot sponsor you for PR unless you renounce your PR status or have it revoked before she submits the sponsorship application.

You daughter cannot lose her permanent residence unless you were not actually in Canada and it was discovered that you misrepresented yourself on the sponsorship application.

The fact that you already sponsored your daughter will definitely raise questions during the sponsorship application.

If you can enter Canada by car from the US, without having your status revoked, you can avoid all of this.

Continue Reading

I am a British Citizen and have applied for an eTa. This has been declined because I have Permanent resident status which must have run out years ago. I am in the process of renouncing my residency so I can apply for an eTa to visit but flights have been booked for the 20th April – who do I send the forms to please?

You submit the forms to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC):

Renunciation of Permanent Resident Status
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Operational Support Centre
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ground Floor Mailroom, South Tower
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 1L1

Continue Reading

My father is suffering alzheimer and in Care center. His permanent immigration card will be expired in one month. My mother said she depends on his card for many things, like bank, pharmacy… On the other hand, he could not speak and could not sign. Eventually his address only covers his front, not back. What can I do for his card update?

Your mother getting Power of Attorney might solve this problem.

In the meantime, IRCC may have some provisions which allow your mother to apply for your father’s new PR Card on his behalf. She should called IRCC at 1-888-242-2100 to see what she can do.

Continue Reading

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes