Top Menu

Q&A Categories Archives: Marriage to a Foreigner FAQ

i am a permanent resident here in Canada and want to get married with my boyfriend from US, what do we have to do?

Provided your boyfriend is currently in Canada…

When the local marriage office reopens, after the pandemic measures are lessened, you need to complete a marriage application, pay the fee, provide your IDs (passports are acceptable for foreigners) and it is possible, that they will require proof of your boyfriend’s single status. (Call/email ahead to confirm that is not a requirement.)

That’s it.

Continue Reading

My fiance is from Jamaica and I am from Canada, dating for 21mths. We would like to elope in Canada. In relation to the Jamaican culture, elopement is not a traditional practice. However, if we elope in Canada would elopement be an issue? I am a Canadian citizen and don’t want to spend too much money on a wedding. We agreed to have a vow renewal a year or two afterwards. I don’t want any delays.

As long as your fiance can get a visa to Canada and enter the country – unlikely during the pandemic – you can marry in Canada no problem.

Continue Reading

I am Canadian studying in the US. I want to marry my American boyfriend in Canada so my family can attend, but then return to the US to complete my studies and likely live there and work, have a family, etc. Is this possible, or should we be married in the US? What would the travel restrictions be if we were married in Canada but lived in the US? I have heard horror stories of not being able to re-enter Canada for years…

Under normal circumstances this is very possible. Once pandemic travel restrictions are eased again, it will be possible again.

As long as your American fiance isn’t trying to live in Canada, there shouldn’t be a problem.

Continue Reading

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes