You can sponsor him any time. If you sponsor him before he arrives it will be outland. Because he already has his visa he will be allowed to travel here during the process. He will be questioned at the Port of Entry as visitors are not supposed to enter Canada permanently.
Q&A Categories Archives: Canadian Sponsorship FAQ
This is a Canadian website. We do not know the details of American laws.
In Canadian law, you must have legal status in order to be eligible to be sponsored. That might be true in the US too. The US may or may not have regulations about not being able to sponsor someone with a pending refugee claim in a different country.
The moment you “land” in Canada (i.e. enter) you are a permanent resident. The 2 year conditional permanent residence requirement was revoked.
He does not need to be with you when you land.
To answer your first question, you can just get an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) and come here. You do not have to work.
However, once you want to come permanently, she will have to sponsor you for permanent residence. She can do that while you are in Ireland or while you are in Canada.
You have a few options:
- If he can get an eTA and enter Canada with you, you can sponsor him “inland” once he is in the country.
- If he is not yet 35 he can apply for International Experience Canada and come here on a working holiday.
- Finally, if he cannot come here, you can move here yourself and sponsor him outland, but that will take 12 months from the date you submit the application.
You need to sponsor her for permanent residence. There are two ways you can do that:
- If she can get a visitor visa and enter Canada, you can sponsor her “inland”.
- Otherwise you have to come here by yourself and sponsor her “outland” and she can come once she is approved.
Marriage will not affect your Express Entry application.
Once you are married, you can be sponsored. But you cannot remain a diplomat for a foreign country and be a permanent resident at the same time.
It will take approximately one year from the date you submit the application.
You can come here on a visitor visa if you are planning on just marrying on while you’re on that visa.
You should wait until your married before you are sponsored for permanent residence.
You cans submit an “open” work permit application at the same time as you are submitting the sponsorship application.