Top Menu

Travel Related FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

Helpful tips and information on travel related issues for Canadian citizens and permanent residents who need help whilst traveling abroad. Further information can be found at any of the websites listed below:

Passport Canada
Global Affairs Canada
The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority
Canadian Automobile Association
Canada Border Services Agency

Do I need some kind of travel insurance for a week’s holiday in Barbados?

Yes. It doesn’t matter which country you visit you must always ensure that you are covered for illness, death, loss and theft or belongings whilst abroad. Many insurance policies cover a wide variety of other aspects of your travel. Your travel agent will be able to advise you oh travel insurance or you can do an internet search for travel insurance.

What should I do if I loose my airline ticket?

Notify the airline company you were flying with immediately. You will be able to find their details from the local airport or from an internet search. They will instruct you further on what to do.

What should I do if my credit cards are stolen whilst I am abroad?

Cancel your cards and report the theft to your credit card company immediately and notify the local police. If you need money try and arrange a transfer from your bank using an agency like Western Union or contact the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate for help.

I am a citizen of both Canada and Bulgaria. Which passport should I use to enter and exit Canada?

The Canadian government recommends all Canadian citizens with dual nationality to travel using their Canadian passport. The Canadian government cannot help you if you travelled to another country using your other passport because you have entered the country as a citizen and are the responsibility of that government should you encounter any problems.

How can I get through the airport security lines faster?

First of all check that your carry-on baggage meets your airlines specifications and that it is not over-packed and that it does not contain any prohibited items.

Limit the amount of metal on your person e.g. no big jewellery, belt buckles, watches, hidden body piercings. All of these items will sound the metal detector and slow you down.

Put any liquids, aerosols and gels into a resealable transparent plastic bag and place this bag in the tray provided at the scanner.

Do not carry any drinks through to the departure lounge.

Ensure that any electrical items like laptops and cell phones are places in the trays provided and passed through the scanner.

Have the items at hand before you reach the scanner. Remove your coat or jacket and belt before reaching the front of the scanner line.

Have your boarding pass ready to hand to the officer. Never joke about bombs or weapons whilst going through security. All statements are taken seriously and could result in a conviction.

I have never flown before. What can I take on board the aircraft?

You are allowed one piece of hand luggage which must be mall enough to fit into the overhead locker. Each airline will be able to advise you on the size and weight allowed on board their aircraft. You are not allowed to carry on certain items like knives, scissors, lighter fluid etc. The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority has an easy look up tool allowing you to check if the items you pack are allowed on board.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes