Top Menu

I am a US citizen, and have been a PR of Canada since 1986, My husband is a dual Canada-US citizen. We plan to move back to the US for retirement, likely permanently. The requirements for maintaining PR status state that a minimum in-Canada residency of 1095 days in a 5-year period is necessary, unless certain exceptional conditions are met. One of them is “accompanying a family member who is a Canadian citizen.” Would my residency in the US with my Canadian citizen husband allow me to retain my PR status and renew my PR card under this exception, should I so wish?

Actually, it’s 730 days spent in Canada during a five year period, though if you barely meet the requirement your status will be investigated.

Yes, you can use your time spent in the US with your Canadian citizen husband as time spent in Canada. You can keep your status as long as you can prove this.

Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes