Top Menu

I am on a student visa in Canada, my boyfriend is on PGWP (post graduate work permit). I could hypothetically apply for PGWP and then for PR on my own, but I would like to continue my studies and do my PhD, but in this case I cannot apply for PR until I finish my studies. My boyfriend is about to apply for PR. In order for me to get a PR being on a student visa in Canada – is it better for us to get married before he applies for PR or after?

If you marry now, and he then applies for PR, you can get PR as his spouse. However, if you marry after he gets his PR, he will have to sponsor you or you will have to wait until you can apply on your own. As you note, the latter will take years. Better to marry now.

Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes