Top Menu

I recently became a Permanent in Canada, however I have not received my PR Card as yet. I am starting a New job as a Truck Driver which requires me to frequent America on a weekly basis to make Deliveries. Before receiving my PR I obtained a Travel Document as a Protected Person which is still Valid. Can I use it in the mean time or should I apply for a PRTD?

A few things to consider:

  • First, driving across the border does not require a PR Card. As long as you have your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), you should be okay. Given that you have a Canadian Refugee Travel Document instead of a foreign passport, you shouldn’t even need the COPR, though having a copy of it with you can’t hurt.
  • Yes, you can use your Refugee Travel Document – that document is a passport substitute, which is not the same thing as a PR Card.
  • Because you need your PR Card for work, you can ask IRCC to speed up the application. Because it’s your first PR Card, you may not be able to get it sped up, but you can still try requesting it.
Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes