Top Menu

I’ve got a PR card that doesn’t expire until 2020 – however, I got married this past November (outside of Canada – in the US; I’m American). I just changed my US passport to reflect my new last name, but don’t have time to change my PR card as we’re travelling to Europe next month. I know that I can bring my marriage certificate with me and shouldn’t have too much of an issue getting back into Canada, but my question is: for my PR card application, it says that if you’re married outside that you must submit your passport and an official document showing your change of name. I called CIC and was told that they only need a copy, but from what I’ve found on different CIC websites it looks like they actually want my real passport and marriage certificate. Is that correct? I know for people married within Canada, they only ask for a copy, but it doesn’t say that under the “married outside of Canada” portion. Will they mail back both my passport and marriage certificate, if they actually want the real ones?

Submit a copy. If they do want to see your original they will invite you to an appointment at an IRCC office to verify the document.

Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes