Top Menu

I’m a naturalized Canadian, and due to the necessity of taking care of my elderly mother, I’ve been residing in Europe for the last 2 years. My Canadian passport expired last month, and I’d like to renew it from outside Canada. I have a small business in Canada, which I operate via the Internet. I file my tax returns and pay taxes to Canada. Last year, I submitted my 2014 tax return electronically having indicated in it that I was a resident of Canada as of December 2014 although I had resided in Canada for fewer than 6 months in 2014. I also indicated in my tax return my most recent home address in Canada, paid the balance owing, and it was processed without any problems by the CRA. I also have my most recent Canadian address registered with my Canadian banks and other government agencies as I perceive my extended stay outside of Canada as temporary. Now while completing my simplified passport renewal application form, I’m scratching my head not knowing which home address I should indicate in Sections 1 and 5. As for Section 1, I presume I should indicate my current home address in the country where I’ve been residing for the last 2 years so that my new passport be delivered to me. Correct? But what about Section 5 requiring me to list all my addresses for the last 2 years? Should I indicate that my current home address outside of Canada has been the same for the last 2 years? But what if Passport Canada contacts the CRA, for instance, and finds that they have had my Canadian address on file for the last 2 years? Will I be penalized by Passport Canada and/or the CRA in this case? What would you suggest I should do in this situation?

Answer the questions honestly. Passport Canada and Revenue Canada would need your permission to communicate with each other if, for some reason, they needed to.

Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes