Top Menu

I am a Canadian citizen living with my British partner in South Korea. We got married legally here in Korea. I understand that Canada recognizes this as a legal marriage but the Korean immigration department does not accept it for dependent visa status for me. They want me to produce a Canadian marriage certificate. Do we have to go through the whole marriage process in Canada (licence/ceremony etc) in order to get a certificate or can we exchange the Korean one for a Canadian one somehow?

It seems very odd that Korean authorities would not recognize a legal marriage in your country. You should go to the nearest Canadian diplomatic mission to see if there is some kind of acknowledgement you can get from the Canadian government you are legally married. Foreign Affairs might be able to provide you with something.

Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes