Top Menu

I am a Canadian citizen but my wife is Japanese. Our kids have Canadian citizenships but wife doesn’t. Can my wife and kids stay in Canada for a year without me? I have to work in Japan. Will my kids be able to go to school there?

The answer to your question about your wife is: probably not, but maybe.

Your wife can get a visitor visa to Canada and enter with your kids for six months. At the end of 6 months, she will have to exit and re-enter Canada. At that point, the CBSA may let her re-enter for six months, or they may let her enter for less. This could be a problem for your children if they are young.

What you could do is all travel to Canada together, enter Canada, submit a sponsorship application and then you could return to Japan. If you did this, your wife would be able to stay in Canada until a decision is reached, which is usually around 12 months later.

As for your kids, yes they can go to school in Canada. You just need to get them citizenship certificates and then they can go to school once they are physically in Canada and registered as students.

Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes