Top Menu

I am a Canadian citizen and my boyfriend is Italian working in the U.S. under a work permit (L1 visa). He can enter Canada on a visitor visa (i.e. enter normally as he does on weekends) and we can get married here without a problem and this will be recognized in the U.S. correct? and what we do afterwards, whether I sponsor him to work in Canada or he sponsors me to work in the U.S. is not anything “fraudulent” in any way?

Yes, US States recognize marriages in Canada. How the federal government and each state recognize your marriage may be different though. It’s important to look into whether or not you need to register the marriage. Marriages are handled at the state level (like they are at the provincial level in Canada) and there may be some quirks.

The same doesn’t apply for Canada, FYI: An American marriage is legal and recognized in Canada, period.

Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes