Top Menu

Me and my (then) boyfriend from India just got married. He is here on a work permit, what do we have to do now? Does he stay on his work permit, does he have to continue to get his PR through work, or is he automatically a citizen/resident and if so how do we get his documents changed?

Your boyfriend is not automatically a permanent resident, nor a citizen. Marriage alone does not change his status.

You can sponsor him for permanent residence, which will take about a year after you submit the application. This will probably be faster than if he waits to apply for PR after working in Canada long enough, but it depends upon how long he’s been working here.

Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes