Top Menu

We have booked a trip to Cuba for Dec 19 until the 26th. Only after I booked the trip did I notice that my PR card has expired this past October! I have submitted the paper work to renew my PR card, but it will not arrive in time (processing time is longer than the number of days before my trip). Should I do a eTA to come back from Cuba to Canada? will i have trouble leaving Canada to Cuba? I have a Portuguese passport.

You will have no trouble leaving Canada, just returning to Canada.

As a permanent resident, you are ineligible for an eTA. If you apply, it will be refused.

IRCC recently removed urgency processing for previously booked vacations.

You have two options:

  1. Apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) in Cuba (takes 2-3 weeks usually and you must apply in person in Cuba)
  2. Change your flight to an airport in the US near the Canadian border and drive back across the border into Canada (you do not need a PR Card to enter Canada by car).


Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes