Top Menu


My husband is a Canadian. I am a Taiwanese who is applying for the permanent resident. We have 6 year-old and 4-year-old children who both born outside of Canada. Kids and I all live in Taiwan. Kids’ father got his Canadian citizenship by naturalization 15 years ago. So the kids are Canadian by the law. But we just sent their application for the citizenship two days ago. Are they not Canadian officially because they never get their Canada citizenship? And Kids father is working in Canada right now. Kids and I want to visit him and family in Canada. But the new law says Canadian who want to entry Canada by air must show the Canadian Passport. So do my kids not allow to enter Canada without their Canada passport? If they can’t, can we drive kids from US to Canada with Taiwan passport and ESTA from US? And will Canada border service reject kids’ entry by land? Kids’ father can’t come to visit us until February 2018, so I hope I can take kids to visit their father.

Provided you just submitted applications for their citizenship certificates, you have the following options:

  • Wait until they have their citizenship certificates then:
    • apply for their Canadian passports and travel to Canada by air with those passports
    • drive across the border with their citizenship certificates
  • Drive to Canada and have them enter as visitors on their Taiwanese passports.

The ESTA is no help for Canada. You would all need ETAs or visitor visas to fly to Canada without Canadian passports.

Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes