Top Menu

Q&A Categories Archives: Marriage to a Foreigner FAQ

How can I bring my foreign spouse to live with me in Canada?

You must sponsor your spouse under the Family Class of sponsorship. You can do this if she lives in another country or if she lives with you in Canada, even if her status is not legal here. As a sponsor you have to agree to support them financially for 3 years, whether they remain with you or not. At the same time your spouse must apply for permanent residence in Canada.

Continue Reading

I met my Thai girlfriend on the internet and have visited her twice since we first met. Later this year we are planning to get married and for her to come and live in Canada. What do I need to prove my marriage to her is genuine?

You must prove that the relationship is genuine by providing evidence such as photos of the two of you together at different time periods e.g. some on your first visit, some on your second, proof of your trips to Thailand e.g. boarding passes, phone records showing her phone number and proving regular contact, emails or letters showing regular correspondence. If you have evidence of joint affairs, such as a joint bank account or property owned together, or if you send money on a regular basis to her this will also help prove your case.

Continue Reading

I am a Canadian citizen and am planning on marrying my Chinese girlfriend this year. Once we are married will she automatically qualify for Canadian citizenship?

No. Marriage to a Canadian citizen does not automatically qualify for Canadian citizenship. You must first sponsor your partner to live in Canada and at the same time your partner must apply for permanent residence. This can be done from Canada or from the country where she is a permanent resident. Once you spouse has been a permanently resident in Canada for 3 years or 1,095 days in a 4 year period, she can apply for Canadian citizenship.

Continue Reading

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes