Top Menu

Q&A Categories Archives: British Passport FAQ

I am a female Canadian citizen born in 1996, my Mother and other maternal family members are from England. My mother came to Canada in 1993 and became a Canadian citizen in 2003, my father is a Canadian citizen but they never got married and are not together. I travelled to England in 1998 and was placed onto my mothers British passport until it expired. I would like to know whether I am eligible to get my British passport as I plan to go to England to study.

You are. You can apply for your UK passport using your birth certificate and your mother’s birth certificate.

Continue Reading

I am a British/Irish/Canadian citizen, born in 1969 in Belfast. My family immigrated to Canada in 1970. I am currently in the process of applying for my first British passport. I am, however, trying to navigate the website and it’s not entirely clear what documents I need regarding my parents. It says I need to provide the following: • their passports at the time of the applicant’s conception • full birth certificates (showing both the child’s and parents’ details) • their marriage certificate. It’s not clear if I need to provide all of these or just one of these. I know I can order their birth and marriage certicates through NI Direct; however, for the passport numbers, I don’t think they’re in possession of them anymore. I find it kind of strange that the website and HM Passport Office require so much or any information on my parents given I was born in the UK.

You have to provide your birth certificate. The information you are referring to is for those claiming UK citizenship through descent (i.e. those born abroad).

Continue Reading

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes