Top Menu

Express Entry FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

Express Entry is the new way skilled immigrants immigrate to Canada. Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades and Canadian Experience Class now operate through Express Entry.

Express Entry is an online electronic system that manages those applications for permanent residence in Canada that fall under specific immigration programs:

In order to apply for Express Entry, you will need to qualify for one of the above Canadian immigration programs. This means you must have:

  • at least 1 year of full-time Canadian work experience (or equivalent part time experience), and / or
  • at least 1 year of full-time work experience (or equivalent part time experience abroad in an occupation that Canada deems “skilled” (see below), and / or
  • at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or equivalent part time experience) abroad in a trade.
If your work experience is abroad, usually you are required to have a job offer in addition.

There are additional requirements which you can learn about by reading about the individual programs.

My wife and me have applied for the Canadian PR with the Express Entry. I want to know that is it necessary to go to Canada to collect our PR cards or can we get them mailed to one of the postal addresses in Canada?

If you are granted Permanent Residence, you will have to travel to Canada before your PR Cards are issued.

I am an Indian boy and came to Canada on study visa to pursue my two year post graduation. I am now working on work permit in Canada since last 1.5 yr. I know an Indian girl since last 6 months (now fiancee) and have plans to get married soon. I have to apply for PR in Canada and we want to settle here only in the future. Can you tell me the fastest possible way for us to be legally married and living together in Canada? How much time does the visa process will require? Should we get married in India or Canada (while she can visit here with tourist visa)?

First, get married. It doesn’t really matter where, though Canada might be better (if she can get here) if only because that way you have a Canadian marriage certificate.

Then, add her to your PR application as your spouse. She will contribute points to your Express Entry profile (if you are going that route).

I got a passport request for my permanent residence visa. I sent it on 26th october and its now 11 november 2015. How long is the wait?

The time depends on the visa office, but you have been waiting a perfectly normal amount of time. It usually takes under a month.

I had applied for a Canadian PR for myself and my wife from India on August 2014. Coincidentally I had to travel to Canada on my Company’s work permit in October, 2014 while the PR processing is still going on. My wife, however is still in India. All my documents still have my address as my India address.Do I need to tell CIC that I am already working in Canada on a WP and have my address updated or is it fine to keep my address as India and have my wife send all documents from our India’s residence.

You should keep your address up to date to prevent anything from getting lost. To be safe, you always want to update your information.

is the birth certificate of a Cuban national required for permanent residency application for Canada?

You need to prove your identity, which is usually done with a passport (in this case, from Canada). You will have to get the stamps translated, if they are not in English or French, too.

My common law partner and I were living in Colombia for over a year together until May this year. He is Colombian and I have dual citizenship and I’m also a Canadian citizen. I came back to Canada for work reasons and he had to stay behind. He wants to apply through the Federal Skilled Worker Program to immigrate to Canada as he feels he is qualified. Can i still apply as a common law partner even if we are not living together any more as I came here for work? Also, as I am already a canadian i dont qualify as a common law foreign national partner . In this case how can he put me as a common law partner in his application? I saw the application and the common law partner in this case refers to a spouse or partner who is a foreign person and immigrating to Canada , which is not the case here… so how can i apply as his canadian common law partner? Also i am not sure if i could classify as a relative so he could get more points in his application? thanks for your help and clarification

By the time he gets his Invitation to Apply for the Federal Skilled Worker program, it’s hard to see how you could possibly qualify as a common law couple any more, if you haven’t lived together in a month or more.

You are Canadian and have to do nothing as long as you are not sponsoring your partner. If he is applying to come here as a Skilled Worker and you are no longer living together, he does not not have to complete the Statutory Declaration.

It’s only through a PNP that you can provide support to your partner as a skilled worker.

Here is a full breakdown of the Express Entry points system.

I am a u.s citizen and would like to permanently move to quebec canada. Which applications must I fill out?

You need to visit Immigration Quebec to find out how you can immigrate.

Hello, I am applying for EE in coming days and I have a small question regarding my wife’s pre-marriage Last Name My wife has her maiden name on her passport. However, after her married name is on a bunch of documents. Which name would you recommend using doe EOI application. We could get Passport updated, but it may get delayed.

Use the passport name on the applications. Just provide your marriage certificate and a translation so that they know she is one and the same person.


Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes