Top Menu

Express Entry FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

Express Entry is the new way skilled immigrants immigrate to Canada. Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades and Canadian Experience Class now operate through Express Entry.

Express Entry is an online electronic system that manages those applications for permanent residence in Canada that fall under specific immigration programs:

In order to apply for Express Entry, you will need to qualify for one of the above Canadian immigration programs. This means you must have:

  • at least 1 year of full-time Canadian work experience (or equivalent part time experience), and / or
  • at least 1 year of full-time work experience (or equivalent part time experience abroad in an occupation that Canada deems “skilled” (see below), and / or
  • at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or equivalent part time experience) abroad in a trade.
If your work experience is abroad, usually you are required to have a job offer in addition.

There are additional requirements which you can learn about by reading about the individual programs.


If your job if skilled – i.e. you are eligible for Canadian Experience Class – you must work in Canada for at least one year before applying for PR.

At that time you can create an Express Entry profile.

Once you get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) it should be approximately 6 months from the date of your application submission when you receive a decision.

my question is the cic ask for entry exit movement report from kuwait and jordan in kuwait they refuse to give the report because iam not under criminal case in jordan iam afraid that my country not allowed double citizen becaus they ask for the reason and in fact all my decleration paper are ok and the report from canada border ok and all stamps in passport are ok and clear what will be the result if no chance to get this report and submit it to cic

You should provide their answers in writing, translated if need be, to show you made the effort.

I received my ITA on Sep 2016, under the Express Entry – Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). Subsequently, I submitted my PR Application on October 2016 and received a confirmation letter from CIC for the same. I had also paid PR Application Fees and submitted a complete PR application form for processing. At this point, there was nothing due from my end. The normal processing time of 6 months, as per the CIC website, has almost elapsed on 20th April 2017 I have been waiting patiently to hear from CIC about my application status and COPR. I am getting restless as I have no communication whatsoever from CIC on the status of my application Sad May I know what are my options now? Is it normal not to receive any status update between submission of PR application and COPR? Is it common for PR Applicants to receive a COPR much later than the normal processing time? If Yes, then how much longer should I wait before I write to CIC again.

The stated processing time of 6 months is just a goal and, moreover, a goal as an average, meaning that even if IRCC (formerly CIC) meet the goal, some applications will be done sooner and some less soon.

Your best option is to submit a case specific enquiry.

i have question regards my friends who isnot much speak english , he came to canada as landed immigrant . first year medical test he was ok clean . while he was waiting pr and cic send letter stating in order to get yo pr/ u medical expiry, 12 monh so you have 90 days to go again medical test he want to phyician, dr told him told him u got brain cancer how is that affect his pr after waitng so long is gana get rejected 

If he is apply for PR he is not yet a landed immigration (i.e. permanent resident).

Yes, a diagnosis of a condition like this can endanger his PR application. It would be at the discretion of the officer reviewing his application whether or not to deny it for this reason. It also depends upon what type of PR application (economic, sponsorship, etc).

I was on a PGWP from May 2016. I applied for EE in October 2016 and received the ITA shortly after. I applied with my ITA on November 27th 2016 and I have completed my landing procedures on March 10th. I still have my work TRV that is still valid till 2019. Can I enter Canada by air after a short trip to the US using my TRV even though I have not received my PR card?

No. Your TRV ceased being valid the moment you landed as a PR, even if nobody officially cancelled it.

I am planning to file sinp.and after I get my sinp can I file for my husband he is in states on c08 status. Pls suggest what to do?

If you are invited to apply for permanent residence you should include your husband on your application as that way you will not have to sponsor him later.

For example, I got my PR then I go to niagara for visa change. It will take how many days before I recieve my PR card? And can my wife enter canada even without the PR card yet? Or when can she enter canada?

The current processing time for a first PR Card is 21 calendar days.

Whether or not your wife can enter Canada depends upon whether or not she was included in your application. If she was, she should “land” with you.

If you didn’t include your wife in your PR application, you will have to sponsor her for permanent residence.

I am waiting for my pr to canada.Now I am working in India.I know I have to enter canada before the expiry date.How much time I have to stay there to be an immigrant or citizen in canada

The moment you “land” you become a permanent resident of Canada. To become a citizen you must live at least three years in Canada as a permanent resident and meet the other requirements (citizenship test, etc).

I just received the COPR and the Visa stamped on the all passports of my family and I noticed that the given name in the satmped visa of my child is missing the last 2 letters may be due the long of his name while the name is complete in his COPR as per the his passport. My question is this will affect our entry to Canada as I will arrange my landing in July 2017?

If the last two letters are omitted due to length, that’s entirely normal. There are only so many characters available for names on COPRs and also on PR Cards.

I am about to apply for EE under skilled worker category. I am wondering if it would take longer for my approval if i add my wife and daughter in my application. I am working in Canada right now and my family is back home. Would i be granted PR status before them or at the same time?

You should include them, because bringing them here later involves sponsoring them, and that is a pain.

Your wife should help your CRS score. Officially the processing time should not change because you added them.

You will all be granted PR at once if you’re granted it.

Should I apply PR for entire family together or can I apply for mine and once I have the approval apply for my wife and daughter?

Apply all at once. If you wait, you will have to sponsor your family, which takes a full year.

I stayed in Canada from April 2016 to Dec 2016 on visitor visa.Had applied for PR under family sponsorship in May 2016,RPRF was sent in Sept,now Status of my application is Medical result recieved (updated in Dec). After that I got request for RCMP criminal record check in Feb end . I am planing to go back to Canada in April, my question is after I go there if Delhi Immigration office asks for my passport for stamping , can I submit my passport for stamping in Canada visa office itself or Can I send it through courier(Is it allowed) or with any person (will they not suspect that I am in canada and how did I send it without coming to India) .What are the possibilities I have.I am very confused because Delhi Immigration office never respond to any means of communication – email/mail/fax.

If you do not have a valid visitor visa it is unlikely you will be granted one now. If you have one, there is an issue entering Canada.

If you can indeed enter Canada, you can change your address on your application to see if they will let you submit your passport to a different office.

I have applied for PR card after i have got ITA from CIC and my application is in Review. Once i get PR approval, i need to go to province as i have applied for provincial nomination. I have a question – Do i need to stay in province(Canada) till i recieve PR or i can go to Canada , apply for PR , give mailing address of my friend and once i recieve PR i come back and settle down there, please suggest

If you have been nominated by a province for permanent residence, part of that nomination is pledging to live in that province. That does not prevent you from travelling home for a visit but if border or immigration officials suspect that you do not actually have the intention to live in the province, they could you deny you PR status at the Port of Entry.

I have a PR application under PNP regular stream category. The current processing of the said category is 16 month and im in my 15th month this march and im waiting for passport request. My passport is valid until october 28 2017. My question is if i dont renew my passport and it will have 6 months or less till i get my passport request, will it cause problem in my application? Im currently here in canada as TFW. Im afraid to renew the passport because it will take 10 weeks for philippine passport to get processed.

As long as you are in Canada, you do not need to worry about the six months validity rule.

My dependants expired thier copr before they come to canada,can we able to extend it or we needto back to zero reprocess everything again?

If you have PR – i.e. you landed – you can sponsor them.

If you didn’t land either, you will all have to start from scratch.


Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes