Top Menu

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

Every visitor to Canada (except American citizens) needs an eTA to travel to Canada as of March, 2016. eTA applications are made online at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a visa-waiver program allowing some nationals to travel to Canada without a visitor visa.

If you are eligible to us an eTA instead of a visitor visa, you must do the following:

  1. Get your passport, credit or debit card ready, and read the help document
  2. Use the online form to apply. The form cannot be saved. So have your information ready.
  3. Pay $7 CAD for your eTA right after you complete the form.
  4. Get an email about your eTA application. Most applications are approved within minutes.
You may need to submit documents before your application can be approved. If this happens to you, an email will be sent with instructions within 72 hours.

I have done an application for an eTA and have left off the middle name on the application, although the client has a middle name on the passport. I read the frequently asked questions but it is a bit contradictory. Do I need to do another application and include the middle name or is the application I have done okay to travel on? My next question is that we are entering Canada on the 22nd September travelling from Toronto to New York then flying back from New York via Vancouver on the 15th October, do we actually need an eTA for this trip as it is not mandatory until 29th September.

Actually, as of September 20, the eTA leniency period was extended through November 9, so you do not need eTAs. You should call the airline to see whether or not they will let this person on the plane with the middle name missing.


My father is travelling to Canada at the end of July and he was previously a Permanent Resident but he has been gone for 5 years. I tried to get his ETA but the government is asking us to cancel his PR card. They want passport pictures etc. I don’t know what to do. He has already booked his flight and has been in Canada a few times without any issue in the past 5 years.

Well, the eTA is not mandatory until September. Had he not applied for one, he might have been able to travel here without any issue. Now that CBSA is aware of the issue, it is possible he will have trouble entering if he does fly to Canada without cancelling his permanent residence.

Your father needs to renounce his permanent residence before he comes to Canada. Here is the form. If he doesn’t renounce, he will potentially have issues at the port of entry (airport).

As part of my PR application, I have received a request for either my passport or copies of my passport. Which one is required depends on whether or not I need a visa (eTA) to enter the country. The eTA website states that for a British Citizen, an eTA is required when travelling to Canada but not by land or sea. I am already in Canada, so how does this apply to me – do I need an eTA or not, and therefore do I need to send my actual passport in or will copies suffice?

First of all, you do not need an eTA. An eTA is to travel to Canada only. You are already here. If you were not in Canada yet, you would still not need an eTA because it will not be mandatory until September 2016.

Second, a temporary resident visa (TRV aka visitor visa) is not an eTA. They may seem the same but they are absolutely not the same thing.

The answer to your question is you need to submit copies of your biography page and any stamps because you would not normally need a visa to enter Canada.

I have put my first name as per passport but not my middle name that is on my passport for my ETA do I need to reapply

If your application is rejected, you should reapply. However, if you are approved, do not worry about it.

My parents PR cards expired in 2008. They never renewed knowing they didn’t meet the residency requirements and assumed that was the end of that. They have British passports and are retired, they’ve visited many times since always as tourists (i.e. purchasing travel insurance etc.). They have booked a trip to visit Canada in two months time and to also join us on a family trip to the US (by air) while here. We now realize, they can’t apply for an eTA because they still have permanent residence status!! They will be refused a PRTD based on residency and refused entry. Renouncing their permanent residency status seems to be our only option, but will that be done in time for their trip? Or will they still have difficulty at the border anyway since they intend to enter Canada twice by air – once from UK, second time from the US within the same month? And does it mean I cannot sponsor them in the future? CIC have not been helpful, they simply refer me to their website.

The eTA will not be mandatory until September 29, 2016, so your parents can travel to the UK without an eTA provided the trip is before then.

Your parents may have issues when they enter Canada if there if the CBSA officer discovers they are permanent residents but do not have PR Cards. However, given that they are are older and British, they may be given the benefit of the doubt. (They may also be asked to apply for PR Cards while in Canada…)

If they are permanent residents you cannot sponsor them. They would have to renounce their status first before you sponsored them. The alternative would be for them to move here and stay here until they meet the residence requirements so you wouldn’t have to sponsor them.


I am single and my partner divorced and our passports and travel documents are in this status. However, we are getting married in June 2016 and visiting Canada for two weeks for our Honeymoon. Our travel agent has advised us we need an ETA or visa to fly to and stay in Canada. Please could you advise if we should declare our status as it is now, i.e. Single and Divorced, or our status when we travel to Canada, i.e. Married?

eTAs will not be mandatory until September 29, 2016 at the earliest, so the easiest solution to your problem is to not bother with the eTAs.

If you would prefer to get the eTA regardless, indicate that you are married.

I am an International student issued an study permit on March 2015. Do i need an eTA?

First, as of last week, eTAs will not be mandatory until September 29, 2016.

Second, you only need an eTA if you are travelling from and to Canada. If you are already in Canada with your study permit and will not be travelling until your permit is finished, then you do not need an eTA.

I was born in England and went to live in Canada for 7 years and became a Canadian citizen I haven’t being back for 19 years but my son who also was born in England went back 3 years ago and is a Canadian citizen I have booked and paid for my flights and going for a holiday for 18 days with my parter I have a British passport and a Canadian citizen card I have just applied for the new eta 2 days ago but I am confused cause it’s saying I don’t need a eta cause I am a Canadian citizen and need a Canadian passport but only got a British my partner got approved this morning but I have not yet can you please help me

You do not need an eTA as you are a Canadian citizen. You also do not need an eTA because the eTA will not be mandatory until September 29, 2016. You should get a Canadian passport or travel to Canada on your British passport if you do not have enough time.

How do I talk to someone about my ETA missing out on cheap flights

eTAs will not be mandatory until September 29, 2016. However, you can still apply for one ahead of time at CIC’s website. I don’t see how this affects your options for cheap flights.

i have missed off my middle name on the Canadian eta, does it matter?

It only matters the name on the eTA is different than the name on your passport. Please note that you do not need an eTA to travel to Canada until September 29, 2016.

I am a dual British/Canadian citizen, resident in the UK and having only a British passport. Do I have to get an eTA?

eTAs will not be mandatory until September 2016. However, as a Canadian citizen, you do not need permission to travel to Canada. You should get yourself a Canadian Passport.


Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes