Top Menu

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

Every visitor to Canada (except American citizens) needs an eTA to travel to Canada as of March, 2016. eTA applications are made online at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a visa-waiver program allowing some nationals to travel to Canada without a visitor visa.

If you are eligible to us an eTA instead of a visitor visa, you must do the following:

  1. Get your passport, credit or debit card ready, and read the help document
  2. Use the online form to apply. The form cannot be saved. So have your information ready.
  3. Pay $7 CAD for your eTA right after you complete the form.
  4. Get an email about your eTA application. Most applications are approved within minutes.
You may need to submit documents before your application can be approved. If this happens to you, an email will be sent with instructions within 72 hours.

I arrived to the airport after my 1 month stay in Canada, I’m from New Zealand. I didn’t show my eAT before I went through customs. Will I not be allowed back in Canada because of this?

An eTA is permission to travel to Canada. There is no obligation to show the eTA when leaving Canada or entering another country.

We were permanent residents in Alberta Canada for 30 years . We returned to Scotland about 6 years ago. Our PR cards expired in October 2014.We went for a visit about 4 years ago to visit our children. When we checked in at the airport we were told we should return our PR cards to Canada which we did. We never got any reply and they were sent registered mail. How can we find out if we are no longer able to return and if not ,how can we get proof so we can get ETA so we can visit as we cant seem to get an ETA without some kind of document. Hope you can help. I have copies of our PR cards.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out whether or not your status was cancelled is to file applications for Verifications of Status (VOS). These applications normally take a really long time so what you need to do is to submit proof that you need the VOSs with your applications. Travel plans and proof that you cannot get your eTAs without the proof of no status would be the best thing.

I am UK citizen on IEC visa til November 2017, I am in a common law relationship and shortly will apply for PR and open work permit, in August 2017 me and my partner will got to a holiday in Europe together will I have any problem getting back in to Canada or will I be ok as my IEC is still valid?

You should be fine to leave and return as long as your eTA is still valid in addition to your IEC visa. Your IEC visa is for you to enter Canada, but your eTA is necessary to travel back to Canada by air.

I am a UK resident and have just applied for an eta to travel to Canada for an holiday. I have received a letter back and they say I am or maybe a resident of Canada. Is there a contact telephone number as I am due to go on holiday In February and I need to resolve this quickly. I have emailed the gov site in canada and am still waiting for a reply

You will need to renounce your permanent residency in order to get an eTA. Unless you have the contact information of a specific person at IRCC, emailing them may not get a response. Their phone number is 1-888-242-2100, but that phone number is not normally accessible from outside of Canada.

My sister in law lived here as a small child but moved back to the Netherlands 30 years ago…they were going to come to Canada for a visit…tomorrow, and now they are telling her that she needs a PR card?As far as she knows, she is a dutch citizen..what can she do?

So your sister landed as a permanent resident but left before she became a Canadian citizen? Unfortunately, under the new Electronic Travel Authorization program, she needs to renounce her permanent residence. She has to do this because Canadian permanent residence is only revoked if the resident is investigated. So she still has this status and with the new eTA she cannot travel to Canada without a PR Card or without renouncing her residency.

If I got eTA last week it’s mean I lost my PR rights? My PR card as expired. And I just approve for eTA. Wondering what will need to do in Canadian airport?

You shouldn’t have been able to get approved for an eTA as a permanent resident. It means one of a couple things:

  • The system is not yet complete enough to catch all PRs OR
  • You are no longer a permanent resident OR
  • You have a common name.
You may learn more at the port of entry.

If you successfully enter Canada, you should apply for a new PR Card if you qualify, or remain in Canada until you qualify to apply for one, provided you still have your permanent resident status.

I have missed my first and middle name off my Eta. I accidentally checked the box that says My Eta has been approved but I am worried now that my first and middle name are missing.

You need to complete a new eTA application to fix the mistake.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Greece and have a Canadian passport. My son was born in Greece and has a Greek passport. In the past he was able to enter Canada with his Greek passport. I was recently told that although I have not yet registered him as a dual citizen, he is automatically considered a dual citizen and can no longer enter Canada with his Greek passport as he is not eligible for eTA. We have to enter Canada this week because of a family death and do not have time to get him a Canadian passport. Is there any way he can get special authorization to enter the country with his Greek passport this one last time?

You or he will have to apply for “special authorization to enter Canada.” You can do so here.

When applying for a special authorization to enter Canada who signs the form for a boy born Feb 14 2003 holding a Canadian Citizenship Certificate?

The parent or guardian of the child should sign the application form on the child’s behalf.

my ETA application didnt go through as I am/was a landed immigrant. They want me to renounce it proceed with the ETA. I have received a letter than says I can send the documents via the secure email, and on another part of the website it says I must send them in. What do you suggest

We suggest you renounce your permanent resident status by following the instructions in the letter you received, but keep a copy of the letter and a copy of your application just to be safe.

I am a citizen of the UK currently in Canada on a work visa. I have a vacation booked to travel to the United States for 9 days in Orlando Florida. Will I have any difficulty returning to Canada from the United States

The answer to your question depends upon two things:

  1. Are you flying?
  2. When are you going?
If you are not flying, you should have no trouble returning to Canada.

If you are flying, it depends when you are returning from the United States. If you are returning prior to November 10, 2016, then you do not need to do anything.

If you are returning on November 10 or later, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly back to Canada.

Re: Changes Sept. 30. I am dual UK / Canadian citizen. I have always booked my UK trips with my British passport which allows for swifter entry into UK and upon return showed my passport and proof of Canadian citizenship. Sept 30 only a Canadian passport will be valid proof for boarding the aircraft and entry to Canada. How will this effect booking a trip and allow for the swifter UK entry as a UK citizen and comply with the Canadian passport mandate?

First of all, the mandatory eTA period has been delayed until November 10.

Second, the passport you show to the airline and the passport you show to customs do not have to be the same. Once the eTA is mandatory, you could solve this issue in multiple ways.

So, for example, you could give the airline your Canadian passport information, fly to the UK, show your UK passport when entering the UK, and then show your Canadian passport when entering Canada. Don’t have a Canadian passport yet? Well, you should really get one. Because you’ll need one as of November 10.

Another possibility: Book separate flights and fly under the UK passport to the UK and fly under the Canadian passport back to Canada.

I just got my eta. I just noticed its only my surname written on it without my given name. Would that be a problem

The eTA is not a physical document. If you entered the information correctly, there should be no issues. But you can always check your status online here.

As of Sept 30th new rules and regulations stipulate that a person who is in Canada and is NOT a Canadian citizen who also does NOT hold a valid passport able to leave Canada by plane?

So, Canada is adopting a new process for those non-Canadian residents who would have not required visas to come to Canada before. It is called an Electronic Travel Authorization (or eTA). It is similar to systems already in use in the US, Australia and some other countries.

It has absolutely nothing to do with travel from Canada, and only covers travel to Canada by plane. It is supposed to become mandatory November 10, 2016.

If you are currently in Canada and have a valid passport from any country, you can leave Canada. You can also leave Canada by car with an enhanced driver’s license from a Canadian province or US state. Again, the eTA has nothing to do with leaving Canada.

I have Canadian and British citizenship. I am travelling to Scotland on my British passport. I do not have a Canadian passport. I do have my Canadian citizenship card. Is this enough for me to return to Canada? Do I need further documentation?

If you are returning to Canada before November, 10th, you are okay.

However, if you are returning on the 10th or later, you’ll need a Canadian Passport to be allowed on the plane. you should apply for an expedited passport in this case.


Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes