Top Menu

Canada Sponsorship FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

  • Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their immediate family and “other eligible relatives” for permanent residence in Canada.
  • There are three types of partner sponsorship:
    • spousal sponsorship – for married couples
    • common-law sponsorship – for couples currently living together
    • conjugal sponsorship – for couples prevented from marrying or living together
  • There are two ways of sponsoring your partner:
    • Inland sponsorship – your partner is already physical in Canada
    • Outland sponsorship – your partner is not yet in Canada
  • Sponsoring a child is more straight-forward whereas sponsoring your parents can is more complicated.
For further information see Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship and Canada (IRCC, formerly CIC).

I went to Canada in 2013 under the IEC program, I met my girlfriend there and we lived together for one month, then I came back to my country (Mexico) to finish university and we kept a relationship just by facebook, skype and whats app for one year. this year (2014) in our anniversary she came to Mexico to meet my family for two weeks, so now we want to live together in Canada, what are my options? I have 6 months of work experience as cook and bartender in Canada and I have worked in the USA, Spain and Mexico, I just graduated from a culinary arts university plus my girlfriend and I are willing to get married if needed.

Well, if you marry, your girlfriend can sponsor you for permanent residence, but this is a long process. (There are two types: overseas – if you remain in Mexico during the process – or “inland” – if you get a visa to travel to Canada, marry in Canada and then stay here. Inland takes longer than overseas in many cases.)

But since you are a chef, I would strongly suggest looking for a job (and getting your girlfriend to help you). If you can get a job offer and LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment), you can then get a temporary work permit and figure out what you want to do while you have status in Canada. For example, provided your work permit was for at least one year, you could then live with your girlfriend and she could sponsor you as her common-law partner (you wouldn’ t have to get married).

if i marry my thai girl friend in canada when she is on a tourist visa, can she stay in canada?

You will have to sponsor her for her to stay in Canad permanently.

I just came back to canada to apply for bringing my husband. We married in my country. Do i have to stay and work in canada after i apply for it? I want to go to my country to be with him after i apply. Is it possible? Or can i apply from my country? We dont to be seperate

Canadian citizens can sponsor their spouses from outside of Canada, permanent residents cannot. Citizens must still indicate their future intention to reside in Canada with their spouse.

Me and my fiance are planning to get married in Canada in two months. Does her getting married to me here give her any status other than as a visitor after we are legally married here? She is taiwanese. Also, how long would take for her to get a permanent resident permit? Thanks.

No, you will still have to sponsor her for permanent residence. “Inland” sponsorships – where the sponsored spouse is in Canada – take longer than overseas sponsorships. But the good news is that once you are approved to sponsor her, she may be eligible to apply for a work permit.

Inland sponsorship currently takes 22 months.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes