Top Menu

Canadian Pardon FAQ

Read IMMIgroup’s step-by-step guide on: The Complete Guide to Background Checks & Security Screenings

A Record Suspension (formerly pardon) allows people convicted of a criminal offenses in Canada to prove that they have been law abiding citizens over a set period of time since their crime was committed. Record Suspensions are granted by the Parole Board of Canada under the Criminal Records Act. To apply:

  1. Get your Criminal Record (your Convictions, Conditional and Absolute Discharges form) from the RCMP in Ottawa and, if required, your Proof of Conviction documents
  2. Get your Court Information using the Court Information Form
  3. Get your Military Conduct Sheet (if applicable)
  4. Get your Local Police Records Check(s) using the form
  5. Get your Proof of Citizenship or Immigration
  6. Get a Photocopy of your photo ID
  7. Fill in the Schedule 1 Exception Form (if applicable)
  8. Fill in the Record Suspension Application Form
  9. Fill in the Measurable Benefit/Sustained Rehabilitation Form
  10. Pay the CAD$631 fee and submit the application.
If you require more information, contact:

Parole Board of Canada
410 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario KK1A 0R1

Pardons INFO line: 1-800-874-2652


When can I apply for a pardon?

If you have committed a summary offence, you can apply three years after all fines have been paid and any sentence has been served. If you were convicted of an indictable offence the period before you can apply for a pardon is 5 years.

What is a Canadian Pardon?

A pardon allows people who have committed a crime in Canada to demonstrate that they are now law-abiding citizens because they have served their sentence, paid any fines associated with their conviction and have not been involved with any other crime.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes