Top Menu

Replacement Citizenship Card FAQ

Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

On becoming a Canadian citizen you will receive a citizenship certificate, which is a letter-sized piece of paper which proves you are now a Canadian citizen. You need to keep your citizenship card safe because you will need it to apply for a Canadian Passport, SIN card, Get a job and vote in federal elections.

To get your Citizenship Certificate:

  • Complete the application form
  • Have citizenship photos taken
  • Gather the supporting documentation: Photo IDs
  • Submit the entire application by mail to IRCC
If you feel you want to read more about replacing a Canadian Citizenship Card, check out the Canadian Government website, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

I sent in my application for a new citizenship certificate in February due to a name change and I got a letter at the end of February stating that my application will be reviewed. I have been trying to check my application status online, but nothing is coming up. My friend is taking her bridesmaids to Cuba in 2 and a half months. I am the maid of honor at her wedding and it’s very important to her that I am able to come. Please let me know if this an acceptable reason for urgent processing?

Needing your citizenship certificate for a passport required for a booked trip may indeed be acceptable for expedited processing. You will need to prove to IRCC that you are applying for a passport and that you need the passport by a certain day. Proof of your trip and your role in the wedding will help.

Please note that expedited processing is entirely at the discretion of IRCC.

How much it costs to replace a stolen citizenship card

It’s $75 to get a new citizenship certificate. (The card was phased out in 2012.) You will have to complete an additional form because the card was stolen.

I have canadian citizen card acquired 18 years ago. I have lived outside of Canada since then. Is my card still valid?

As long as the card is still legible, it is still valid.

I am the daughter of a man born in Canada in 1916. He became a naturalized citizen of the US in 1943. I was born in 1944 as a US citizen. Am I eligible for Canadian citizenship because my father was born in Canada?

That’s a complicated question as Canadian citizenship as a nationality did not exist until 1947. So your father was a British subject when he naturalized in the US and so the British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act 1914 applies. And according to that law, he would have lost his British subject status by nationalizing in the United States, meaning you cannot claim Canadian citizenship through your father.

My current PR card expires in 2020 but I need to get a new one due a legal name change. When filling out the application do I choose “renew” or “replace”? Also, do I need to send my current card with the application.

You are replacing your PR Card. You can just send in a copy of your current PR Card and if they want the original they will let you know.

I need to correct my year of birth on my Canadian Citizenship Card; can somebody assist me in this matter?

You need to apply for a replacement citizenship certificate and provide your correct year of birth in the documentation you submit the that application.

I lost my Canadian citizenship ID card a few years ago, but I do still have my certificate. How can I go about getting a new card?

IRCC no longer issues Citizenship Cards, only Citizenship Certificates, so there is no way of getting a new Citizenship Card.


My US born children ages 9, 11 and 14 are Canadian citizens as their Mother was born in Canada. We have misplace Canadian citizenship card and passports. How do we replace citizenship card?

You need to submit applications to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with the required documentation. You should indicate that you need these to get passports to see if you can speed up what is otherwise an extremely long (5-6 months) process.

I have a citizenship card. The name on the back is exactly the same name on the immigration paper. The name on the front has added my English name. When I went to Ontario service center to change my name on my driving license. The officer said I have to change my name on the citizenship card. I don’t understand is that my passport, health card have my English name. What should I do?

It depends which name you want to change. If you want your English name on your citizenship card, you will have to apply for a new citizenship certificate (the cards have been retired).

If you want to change your names to your original, you will have to use your landing paper and your citizenship card to have them changed.

My daughter wants to update her Canadian Citizenship card with a new photo. She is now 16 and her citizenship card has a picture of her at 6 months old. How do I do this without applying for a new Canadian citizenship card?

The citizenship card has been retired so she cannot replace the card with another card. The citizenship certificate that replaced the card does not have a photo on it, sorry to say.

My father is a Canadian citizen. I am an American adult. What documents do I need to apply for a Canadian citizenship

Provided your father became Canadian by birth or by naturalization (ceremony), you do not need to apply for citizenship, as you are a Canadian citizen.

What you need to apply for is a Canadian citizenship certificate. In order to do that, you will need your father’s birth certificate (or Canadian citizenship certificate or card) and your American birth certificate showing that he is your father. You will also have to provide a photo ID (your driver’s license is sufficient, or your passport) and some photos.

Submit the application by courier (so you can track it) to:

Case Processing Centre, Sydney
Proof of citizenship
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, NS
B1P 5Z2

i lost my canadian citizen certificate, how long is the processing time to replace it

It takes 6 months to replace your Canadian citizenship certificate.

I am living in the USA put i was born in Toronto and I wont to go live in Toronto

In order to return to Canada you must:

  1. Apply for your Canadian birth certificate if you don’t already have it.
  2. Apply for your Canadian passport with your Canadian birth certificate and your American photo ID.
Once you have your Canada passport, you can move to Canada.

I was born in Ottawa, Canada, my parents were diplomats at that time, can I be a Canadian citizen?

No, if your parents were diplomats of a country other than Canada at the time of your birth, you are not a Canadian citizen.

Where do I go to get a new citizenship card?

You cannot apply for a replace citizenship certificate in person. You must send it by mail or by courier to two different addresses. Learn where to submit your citizenship application.


Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes